White dots on zoas/palys

RLHam3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a picture of a couple of my zoanthids and plays after feeding(which is why they're closed). They're eating and acting normally but covered with tiny white specs and some look a bit bedraggled. Any idea what this is? I was under the impression that zoa pox had larger "cysts"?

OP
OP
R

RLHam3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
sorry other pics weren't working. This is my purple death paly

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda looks like eggs. Could be zoa eating nudibranch.

OP
OP
R

RLHam3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using seachem's reef dip for the past two nights because that's what I had. But I have read bout furan 2. Is this chemical really that much effective than the other dips on the market?

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the palys look ok? Do they open? When they get zoa pox they stay closed. Thet kind off look like sand palys keep in their body. Pox is also a few big white balls

D Hwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoa pox on my fruity loops and La lakers right now. I've read that you should try to pop them with a razor and dip them with rx or put a bit of peroxide and then dip with your tank water. Hopefully it helps. I'm in that process right now and waiting to see the results. Worth a shot.

OP
OP
R

RLHam3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the palys look ok? Do they open? When they get zoa pox they stay closed. Thet kind off look like sand palys keep in their body. Pox is also a few big white balls

Did a dip using seachem's reef dip for the third night in a row. But I believe you may be right. They are acting opening and eating completely fine. And the dots are very small and they do look like grains of sand. Can you explain why plays keep sand in their bodies?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no explanation for it. But it is very common with palys. My Green Implosions did this but only when they were near the sand bed. The ones higher up on the rock have none.

OP
OP
R

RLHam3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can zoas also get these grains of sand? I've got a couple others in the tank also exhibiting these white dots. There are significant less dots on the non-palys however.

(And it is worth noting that i'm a beginner reefer so there may be some things that i have labeled as zoas that are actually plays.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sorry to revive this thread but Im seeing the same sort of white dots on my pink zipper palys. Not nearly as many white dots as yours and they are all on the stalks. Still opening OK.
My question is...whats the deal with the sand? Why do they have sand on/in them?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO those are palythoa incorporating the substrate into their stalk which is 100% a paly thing , one of the small diff between paly and zoa protopaly ect

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that. Im super paranoid though LOL my tank is mostly zoa/paly with a few LPS and a single SPS.
Now that I know what could happen...Im going to be MUCH more diligent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back