White fuzz on rock??

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming to the end of my cycle as the nitrite is just starting to fall. I noticed today some white fuzz starting to grow on the rock. It’s not stringy like hair algae but almost looks fuzzy. Can’t get a very good picture but here is somewhat a good shot. Could someone help identify? Thanks!

5152C071-DB3D-4C03-80F3-FE13B57942AA.jpeg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion... Way to early to worry about fuzzy things on your rock. Let your reef happen.

Last edited:

View Badges
Turn lights off please don't need them during or after cycle,don't need them for 3 months be patient looks like algae starting you will have a mess if you leave lights on .after cycle put fish in leave lights off for 3 months get uv after 3 months barely turn lights on little by little for next month you won't have no algae issues if you do this If you also keep your ratio, maintenance and routine in order.

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months???!
If you are cycled you are cycled, I don't see the point in no lights for 3 months once its cycled, tho for sure no need to have lights on early stages. Might as well just accept an ugly stage for a few weeks and ramp up the lights as suggested, we want to power through t, not slow it down..

OP
OP
ReeferDad93

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn lights off please don't need them during or after cycle,don't need them for 3 months be patient looks like algae starting you will have a mess if you leave lights on .after cycle put fish in leave lights off for 3 months get uv after 3 months barely turn lights on little by little for next month you won't have no algae issues if you do this If you also keep your ratio, maintenance and routine in order.
I only turned the lights on to get a better picture. Lights have been off since beginning the cycle

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Sean way too early to be worrying about things growing. Actually I would be happy to see something growing!! If not, then I would really worry! lol

OP
OP
ReeferDad93

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Sean way too early to be worrying about things growing. Actually I would be happy to see something growing!! If not, then I would really worry! lol
Awesome. Sorry, new to the hobby just want to make sure things go as well as they can. Good to know at least something is happening in there!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Sorry, new to the hobby just want to make sure things go as well as they can. Good to know at least something is happening in there!
Don't be sorry, good asking questions! You will soon be going though the "ugly phase" so don't panic. all sorts of things growing just do your test of parameters now and then to make things not getting way out of whack good luck

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 122 76.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.3%
Back