White fuzzy algae looks like cotton

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I noticed this weird white fuzzy looking algae stuff that almost resembles cotton. I've done some searching and it seems like no one can agree on what this is. Algae? Bacteria? Fungus? I've tried scrubbing it off with a toothbrush and it does come off but not entirely. I'd like to eradicate it for good.

Some people have attributed it to wax burners or VOCs but I've also seen contradicting information from people saying they have wax burners near their tanks and have had no issues. FWIW this tank was started with dead rock about 6 months ago. The rock cured for about 2 months.

Also I do have a protein skimmer and feed lightly.

AtxEvqe.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I noticed this weird white fuzzy looking algae stuff that almost resembles cotton. I've done some searching and it seems like no one can agree on what this is. Algae? Bacteria? Fungus? I've tried scrubbing it off with a toothbrush and it does come off but not entirely. I'd like to eradicate it for good.

I can't say for sure, but I would be in bacteria camp.

Some people have attributed it to wax burners or VOCs but I've also seen contradicting information from people saying they have wax burners near their tanks and have had no issues.
I would consider wax burners or VOC's a real possibility. Don't look at the information you are seeing on this as contradictory. This shows just how differently tanks can respond when in similar situations. This fall a member started having a problem with clear slimy bacteria in his filter socks. Even though many people vape near their tanks without problem, this turned out to be the trigger of his problem. Why? Who knows. Could be the age and biodiversity of the tank. Could be air flow patterns pulling the VOC's either into the skimmer inlet or away from it. Could be the type of bacteria that can take advantage of it or the type of coral and/or algae that are in the system that may be able to consume the VOC's faster.

We have had members with similar problems from refinishing hardwoods, shampooing carpet, brewing beer, burning candles and spraying Fabreeze.

In my opinion, if you are using a wax burner, room freshener or anything else similar, try going without for a week or two and see if the problem clears up.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but I would be in bacteria camp.

I would consider wax burners or VOC's a real possibility. Don't look at the information you are seeing on this as contradictory. This shows just how differently tanks can respond when in similar situations. This fall a member started having a problem with clear slimy bacteria in his filter socks. Even though many people vape near their tanks without problem, this turned out to be the trigger of his problem. Why? Who knows. Could be the age and biodiversity of the tank. Could be air flow patterns pulling the VOC's either into the skimmer inlet or away from it. Could be the type of bacteria that can take advantage of it or the type of coral and/or algae that are in the system that may be able to consume the VOC's faster.

We have had members with similar problems from refinishing hardwoods, shampooing carpet, brewing beer, burning candles and spraying Fabreeze.

In my opinion, if you are using a wax burner, room freshener or anything else similar, try going without for a week or two and see if the problem clears up.

Oh I definitely agree with all points. My point was more or less saying that it COULD be from the wax burner or even food cooking in the kitchen, but correlation does not equal causation. One thing that is clear is that this organism is present in many different tank setups, even some where you think it shouldn't be and some it's not present even when you think it should be. :p

I'll be unplugging the wax burner for now and also opening up some windows as the weather is getting increasingly nicer. I'll keep scrubbing away as well and switching out the filter floss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news everyone! The fuzzy white cotton looking stuff has disappeared. Bad news! It was followed up with a infestation of dinoflagellates. I have now been battling that with a 72 hour blackout, reduced water changes, and hydrogen peroxide. It disappeared entirely for about 48 hours and has come back. I am continuing to battle it with the hydrogen peroxide. It hasn't gone away but it's not getting worse so I'm at a stalemate. Any tips?

v1R7rri.jpg

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar bacteria on my center bottom rock, I removed it and cleaned it in RO/DI water.

I am also fighting the filimant slime with Vibrant and Waste & Away. I have not done any water changes and as recommended by Dr. Timm at RAP I switched salt for Red Sea Coral Pro to Tropic Marin.

I am passing 75 to 100 gph through a 9w UV and I am adding Ozone. Yes that stringy white/translucant stuff is still growing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news everyone! The fuzzy white cotton looking stuff has disappeared. Bad news! It was followed up with a infestation of dinoflagellates. I have now been battling that with a 72 hour blackout, reduced water changes, and hydrogen peroxide. It disappeared entirely for about 48 hours and has come back. I am continuing to battle it with the hydrogen peroxide. It hasn't gone away but it's not getting worse so I'm at a stalemate. Any tips?

v1R7rri.jpg
What are your NO3 and PO4?

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, I started seeing this white fuzzy like build up on my glass. It started when I began to carbon dose quite heavy. I'm going to see if it reduces whenI lower my carbon dosage. I use vinegar to carbon dose also.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to piggy back onto this thread with my own version of the white stuff in rocks. Ignore the washed out parts of the photos, I picked the camera filter that best showed the fuzz.

IMG_20191208_183902.jpg
IMG_20191208_183906.jpg
IMG_20191208_183912.jpg
IMG_20191208_183918.jpg

I had a really experienced local guy over to see my tank and help me with placement of coral. He noticed it right away and thinks it's bacterial. After talking through my tanks early months we came to the conclusion that my tank didn't cycle properly. This white fuzz showed up at the point where diatoms and other uglies should have appeared. His theory is that the bacteria is consuming most of the nutrients and starved out the ugly phase of the cycle.

Other observations.

I've put corals in the tank who's plugs were green with algae. Once in the tank the algae on the plugs disappeared.

None of my fish snails or crabs pick at or eat this stuff. The snails won't even crawl through it.

It only grows on the lit side of the rocks so I think it is photosynthetic.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I've got a lot of Coral that I was going to place in the rock work but now I'm thinking I need to battle this stuff first. If it is bacteria what should I try first. Would a black out period be a good place to start or should I go to chemicals first. Or both?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some people have attributed it to wax burners or VOCs but I've also seen contradicting information from people saying they have wax burners near their tanks and have had no issues. FWIW this tank was started with dead rock about 6 months ago. The rock cured for about 2 months.

Also I do have a protein skimmer and feed lightly.

AtxEvqe.jpg

I had rhat. Turned off lights for a few days. All done.

BBHill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This info is what I needed to see, I just started seeing this very same thing in my tank and didn't know what it was. Tank is cycled out and was hoping for corraline algea to spread, will run the lights at a bare minimum for a few days and see if it clears up

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This info is what I needed to see, I just started seeing this very same thing in my tank and didn't know what it was. Tank is cycled out and was hoping for corraline algea to spread, will run the lights at a bare minimum for a few days and see if it clears up

isn't this place awesome! Shoutout to the admin making R2R possible

Dsanchez1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to struggle with this same issue every time I start a new tank. It hasn't ever gotten as wide spread as yours appears to be, but instead pops up in small patches on the rocks in 2 or 3 areas. I have yet to find a definitive ID or solution to it and it always seems to go away on it's own as quickly as it appeared. It also seems to appear anywhere from 3 to 6 months after setting up the tank, usually soon after the initial cycle.

3 months ago I bought and setup a new all-in-one nano tank (JBJ Nano-Cube 29g). I set it up and started the cycle as I always do, using Bio-spira, live sand and rock and a clown fish that I've had for years and always use for this. And sure enough, two days ago the fuzzy cotton-like "fungus" has appeared. To me, it strongly appears like a fungus. This time, I'm just going to let it run it's course and not drive myself nuts trying to intervene. I've experienced this 4 other times and it always goes away on it's own.

I am a veterinarian and we use a lab to send samples to for ID. Today I scraped off 4 different samples and put them in various culture dishes and one in a sterile non-cultured test tube. I will send it off today for identification and sensitivity test. As soon as I have the results I will post them here. It will be nice to have an answer regardless!

Happy reefing everyone!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back