White Lobophylia

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this lobo for about 5 months and it's looked like this since I got it. I'm positive it's not dead since there is tissue and no skeleton is showing but it has never puffed up like I see in pictures. Is this normal or is there something wrong ?

Params are

Alk = 8
Nitrate = 2
Phosphate = 0.03
Temp = 78
pH = 8.0-8.1
erLhCjc.jpg

erLhCjc.jpg

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not dead, but its severely bleached. Looks like its lost all of its symbiodinium partners

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say but skeleton is about the only thing I see on that lobo. If anything it has been barely clinging onto life. Was it like that when you bought it or was it a slow decline since it never inflated.

Doesn't look hopeful and I would be amazed if it turns around from this.

OP
OP
lakai

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a dying lobo to stay alive for so long ? It's looked like this since day 1 and every day I look at it to see if there is any skeleton showing or skin coming off so I can take it out but it's done none of that for the 5 months that i've had it.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of lps can hang on for a long time before completely dying. Some even make a comeback but its hard to see that happening with your lobo unfortunately.

I've personally never had one linger for 5 months looking that same way though. Usually in that time tissue would continually recede and bare skeleton would be poking out and have algae start to grown on it. Surprised that hasn't happened to yours yet. It looks like it is definitely dying, just taking a long time to do so.

dreadcapn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to get a bottle of zooxanthellae and do 20-30 minute dips using it and see if that brings it back from the brink of death. I wouldn't count on it, but if I really wanted to try a hail mary on it I would do that.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back