White spikes on coralline algae

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
Messages
31
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some spots on my purple month that have been overtaken by coralline algae I think. At the perimeter of the corral one are these odd white spikes. Any thoughts on what this is?

2C7223E1-4837-4DC6-B653-4E21E61513CE.jpeg
 
It may also be happening with my lepto. Look at top of drag where it was starting to encrust into the rock.
 

Attachments

  • 7ED3FEC4-E8F5-4BC6-AB49-7D593F854D1A.jpeg
    7ED3FEC4-E8F5-4BC6-AB49-7D593F854D1A.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 124
Looks like Vermetid Snails
I think so too...OP do you see these "white spikes" anywhere else in your tank? I have a vermetid infestation that grows on my coral skeletons and under rocks. I go in with my bone cutter to nip the snails at the base.
 
Ugh. I was about to say I used to have them... but I know better. The large ones have long ago been encrusted with coralline algae. Could that explain this weird growth pattern just above this new acro?
 

Attachments

  • 95CAC26C-5039-4BAF-B50E-81B45DCCFC8B.jpeg
    95CAC26C-5039-4BAF-B50E-81B45DCCFC8B.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 117
You can see an example of the snails that have grown over below. They are much bigger than these new guys
 

Attachments

  • 7E64E376-D06D-4CDF-9115-826EED88F9A5.jpeg
    7E64E376-D06D-4CDF-9115-826EED88F9A5.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 95

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new