White spots/growths on Hippo Tang

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue hippo tang - going on 4 months now. He/she's been heathly, fat and growing like a weed - still is. He did have a small injury from a coral/anemone burn - but it healed and was in a different spot. Anyway - Over the last couple of days he's developed this white growth thing on his tail. He is not flashing, and is still eating, and swimming happily in the tank. None of my my other fish (tangs included) have this issue. Just wondering what this is, and should I treat? I don't have the best picture - this dude is FAST and I have a hard time with the focus. Here's the best one so far....I'll try to get a better one once the lights to the aquarium are a little brighter. I've also included a video which you can see the growth on. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.14.01 AM.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell, does this show on both sides of the tail? It seems to be just on the left side from what I can see....
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sides.....I'm wondering if it is just his 'spikes' sticking out a little? Is that a thing?
The tail spines sometimes get injured when tangs are netted, but that wouldn’t be the case here, also the spot seems further back. Unless additional symptoms show up, I’m stumped!
Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tail spines sometimes get injured when tangs are netted, but that wouldn’t be the case here, also the spot seems further back. Unless additional symptoms show up, I’m stumped!
Jay
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. So far he's eating well, swimming like normal, and none the other fish seem affected. If anything changes, I'll post an update. I really appreciate your help!

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue hippo tang - going on 4 months now. He/she's been heathly, fat and growing like a weed - still is. He did have a small injury from a coral/anemone burn - but it healed and was in a different spot. Anyway - Over the last couple of days he's developed this white growth thing on his tail. He is not flashing, and is still eating, and swimming happily in the tank. None of my my other fish (tangs included) have this issue. Just wondering what this is, and should I treat? I don't have the best picture - this dude is FAST and I have a hard time with the focus. Here's the best one so far....I'll try to get a better one once the lights to the aquarium are a little brighter. I've also included a video which you can see the growth on. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.14.01 AM.png

It’s a bit tricky to see, but it looks like a white nodule on the tangs back fin. If more nodules show up, or if he loses weight as he continues to eat I would suspect lymphocytes. For now all you can do is keep an eye on his weight, and for any more abnormal growths.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back