White spots on box fish urgent help needed

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2022
Messages
51
Reaction score
11
Location
United Arab Emirates
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings R2R family,

I have noticed white spots covering my box fish. I have found a mixed opinion on previous posts. Can you please identify what it is and should I just leave it or give it copper treatment or fresh water dip?

Thanks in advance for your guidance

20221207_210826.jpg 20221207_210817.jpg 20221207_210822.jpg 20221207_210828.jpg 20221207_210833.jpg
 
Greetings R2R family,

I have noticed white spots covering my box fish. I have found a mixed opinion on previous posts. Can you please identify what it is and should I just leave it or give it copper treatment or fresh water dip?

Thanks in advance for your guidance

20221207_210826.jpg 20221207_210817.jpg 20221207_210822.jpg 20221207_210828.jpg 20221207_210833.jpg

The two possibilities are ich or mucus plugs. Boxfish are prone to both. In this case, I'm leaning towards ich because I can see a spot on the clear part of the fins, where mucus doesn't show up.

A FW dip won't be of any benefit.

What is the fish's holding situation? Can you dose it with coppersafe?

Jay
 
The two possibilities are ich or mucus plugs. Boxfish are prone to both. In this case, I'm leaning towards ich because I can see a spot on the clear part of the fins, where mucus doesn't show up.

A FW dip won't be of any benefit.

What is the fish's holding situation? Can you dose it with coppersafe?

Jay


Thanks for your reply Jay,

The box fish has its own aquarium. I can remove the rocks and dose it with coppersafe or I can setup a quarentine tank as well.

Nas
 
It’s ich! Treatment is fallowing the tank for 76 days and treating all fish with cooper at 2.5 PPM in a quarantine tank.

It has two very prominent spots on both the side of its body for last 2 weeks. I thought it's lymphocystis. But today I noticed that it's whole body is covered in similar spots. The spots on the sides never went away in last two weeks. It's eating normally and swimming normally as well.

I am attaching a side photo. You can see a very prominent white spot in the middle of it's body. It had the same spot on both sides for last two weeks.
 

Attachments

  • 20221207_222719.jpg
    20221207_222719.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 103
It has two very prominent spots on both the side of its body for last 2 weeks. I thought it's lymphocystis. But today I noticed that it's whole body is covered in similar spots. The spots on the sides never went away in last two weeks. It's eating normally and swimming normally as well.

I am attaching a side photo. You can see a very prominent white spot in the middle of it's body. It had the same spot on both sides for last two weeks.

It is common for fish to have Lymphocystis and ich at the same time. One way to tell them apart is to "map" the location of the spots. If the smaller spots come and go and show up in new locations over a few days, it is ich. If the same spots are in the same location for days, then it isn't ich.

Jay
 
It is common for fish to have Lymphocystis and ich at the same time. One way to tell them apart is to "map" the location of the spots. If the smaller spots come and go and show up in new locations over a few days, it is ich. If the same spots are in the same location for days, then it isn't ich.

Jay

So should I monitor the fish for a day or two and then decide either to medicate it or not?
Nas
 
So should I monitor the fish for a day or two and then decide either to medicate it or not?
Nas
Yes - but be prepared to treat for ich as soon as you make a determination!
Jay
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new