White Stripe Terelabrus Hogfish Pair

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two beauties arrived very alert and in excellent condition Tuesday morning from LA DD. After releasing them from the acclimation box, the larger of the two proceeded to burrow into the sand and stayed there all day. The smaller, less skittish one stayed out all day hunting for pods, investigating the new surroundings and eating mysis.

Both are now out and about hunting for pods, eating mysis and spirulina brine with gusto... These fish are amazing!

:bigsmile:

Last edited:

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are really beautiful!! Great photos. I have a load coming in tomorrow including my Ventralis Anthias that has been on my wish list!

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever setup a nano these guys will be in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome fish and great photos!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish!!!!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever setup a nano these guys will be in it.

Awesome fish and great photos!

Nice score! Keep us updated on how they do.

Beautiful fish M&T!!!

Gorgeous fish!!!!
Thank you so much everyone! It would be embarrassing to admit how many times this pair was added to my shopping cart and I chickened out. There isn't much information available on the species, so I finally asked Kevin Kohen for advice to make sure I could provide for their needs before I purchased them. Based on his advice, we decided to add them to our smaller tank because this species is extremely shy and timid with other fish. They have great personalities, are very curious and have not been shy or timid at all with us (it didn't take them long to figure out where the food comes from, LOL). :bigsmile:

These are really beautiful!! Great photos. I have a load coming in tomorrow including my Ventralis Anthias that has been on my wish list!
Thank you Wendy and congrats on your new acquisitions. Please share some pics once they've settled in!

Love 'em! Is that in your 30g? You have a great setup going.
Yes they are in the nano and thank you so much for the compliment.

-Terry

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These caught my eye recently as they are meant to be a lot less boisterous than Bodianus species, and yours certainly look beautiful! :clap2:

The only thing holding me back is....shrimp. I have a pair of outgoing blood shrimp that I'd like to keep.
Do you think these are likely to eat them?

Also, I was unaware they needed sand???
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as I'm pretty sure another guy kept them in a bare bottom tank without problems, so I'm hoping the sand is optional ????

Thanks for your time!

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Im thinking about changing my 75 to just have nano fish with these guys as the stars.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed reply...

Our pair does sleep in the sand bed. We also keep leopard wrasses in our 300g reef. There was a 7 month period a couple of years ago where we had to move all of our livestock from the 300g to a temporary tank that was bare bottom. During that time, we kept a couple of rubbermaid containers in the tank that were filled with sand for the leopards to sleep in. I am not 100% sure, but I would say that it should work for the Terelabrus hogfish as well. As far as shrimp go, all I can tell you for certain is that we have had a couple of peppermint shrimp in the tank with them for several months now and the fish really don't seem to pay any attention to them at all. The fish do hunt for pods and I've seen them pick at a couple of really small dwarf ceriths, but they leave the larger snails alone.

A 75g with these fish as the stars would be AWESOME! These fish will jump when spooked or overly excited, so a mesh screen top (1/4") is a must have for them and it needs to be anchored or weighted down.

DSC_3047 by terryl93, on Flickr

DSC_3099 by terryl93, on Flickr

-Terry

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back