White stuff on rocks in display tank

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Don't know if this is anything to worry about or not, but really need help here....

I have found some sort of white growth in my display tank as pictured below.

1. What is it?
2. Is it harmful to my tank or inhabitats?
3. How do I get rid of it?

Many thanks,

20180712_182204.jpg
20180712_182209.jpg

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on sponges. Their numbers will level out as the tank matures. If you are bothered by them, you can reduce the amount of and rinse the frozen foods you're using prior to feeding. This will lower the "Snow" that gets mixed into the water column. With less available food their population will go down. The down side to this is increased nutrient levels as the sponges die off, so you will want to stay on top of the water changes to keep nitrates and phosphates in line.

hogfxstc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on sponges. Their numbers will level out as the tank matures. If you are bothered by them, you can reduce the amount of and rinse the frozen foods you're using prior to feeding. This will lower the "Snow" that gets mixed into the water column. With less available food their population will go down. The down side to this is increased nutrient levels as the sponges die off, so you will want to stay on top of the water changes to keep nitrates and phosphates in line.
If you pulled that off of the rock would it be like a mucus/ snotty type of consistancy? If so, I have noticed some of the same in my tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pulled that off of the rock would it be like a mucus/ snotty type of consistancy? If so, I have noticed some of the same in my tank.

Sponges generally have a ... well ... spongy consistency. (~_^)

~Bruce

Back