White tail tang

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to get a white tail tang. There one at my lfs been there a while. They run copper and uv in there systems. They’re having a sale in 3 weeks and thinking of getting it. I’m wondering if I should qt him/her? I’ve heard some people just go ahead and put them in the tank. I do run uv on my tank as well. Any advice for care and making sure he takes well to his new home if I decide to get will be great appreciated.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can QT, QT. I can’t imagine it being detrimental to the fish if it’s already been a the shop and while and is in good health.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to get a white tail tang. There one at my lfs been there a while. They run copper and uv in there systems. They’re having a sale in 3 weeks and thinking of getting it. I’m wondering if I should qt him/her? I’ve heard some people just go ahead and put them in the tank. I do run uv on my tank as well. Any advice for care and making sure he takes well to his new home if I decide to get will be great appreciated.
Drop right in quite risky with the tang group.

QT can mean just observation and feeding.

In tank acclimation boxes can help after QT to introduce the new fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop right in quite risky with the tang group.
QT can mean just observation and feeding.
Exactly this. I drop my tangs right in, but I have a fairly picky selection process and I run a UV sterilizer. Those of us who "plunk" fish into the tank do so knowing full well the associated risks.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly this. I drop my tangs right in, but I have a fairly picky selection process and I run a UV sterilizer. Those of us who "plunk" fish into the tank do so knowing full well the associated risks.
Can you explain your process? The fish has been there for quit a while as i have been eyeing him/her a while.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain your process? The fish has been there for quit a while as i have been eyeing him/her a while.
I have a really great LFS for starters. They weed out any problematic fish beforehand (ones that may have arrived injured, not acclimating or eating well, etc.) They treat with low levels of copper and fresh water dips for flukes. I'll typically make a few visits to observe how the fish I'm interested in is behaving, interacting with other fish, eating, etc. If there's any question in my mind (however minor) - I just pass and wait for the next opportunity.

I run a UV sterilizer at near "kill" levels for parasites, and this runs 24/7. It's on a separate pump so I can control/regulate flow. I also run ozone in my system through the skimmer and this helps on a general basis. Fish are acclimated for no more than 35 minutes (mainly for salinity changes) and then they go straight into the tank. I have ample (spare) hiding spots so in the event that there's any aggression (very rare) they have somewhere to retreat to besides the floor.

Finally, my fish are fed well and often - with a combination of 3-4 different pellet foods and a half dozen different frozen foods. I use aminos, garlic and selcon in all the frozon food offerings. They also get a half dozen seaweed "rocks" to ensure the herbivores all get a crack at everything. And I have a fairly extensive cleanup crew that does a very good job of keeping the sand bed clean - so I never really have to worry about vacuuming or cleaning it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need at least a 4 foot tank minimum for white tail. Mine was not happy in a 3 foot tank at all. Your tank should be mature with plenty of rock and ample film algae on the rocks for grazing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back