White Worms in FW...

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a few hours. I don’t think anybody’s done any studies on keeping them alive for long periods of time though.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least overnight and possibly a few days in cooler aquariums. I would keep a running supply in killifish breeding tanks. and am fairly sure the occasional strays that lasted two days were still alive....

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on the @WallyB DIY frozen food feeder and thought of doing that with white worms depending on how long they would survive in freshwater. It would be chilled and I supposed I could always experiment with how long they would survive but I figured I'd ask as well just in case anyone knew already...

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up on the @WallyB DIY frozen food feeder and thought of doing that with white worms depending on how long they would survive in freshwater. It would be chilled and I supposed I could always experiment with how long they would survive but I figured I'd ask as well just in case anyone knew already...
I can't comment about White Worms Surival in Fresh Water, chilled or not.

However if you are using a Peristaltic Pump, they work on rollers, that squeeze the tubes to do the pumping.

What I'm saying is (some) of the worms will get squished as they pass thru the pump.
Squished, not pulverized.
.....and NOT ALL THE WORMS would get squished since some will pass thru the pump between the rollers.
The squished ones would still be Fresh to Eat, just half dead.

I personally perfer the Squish worms, since they don't Wiggle Alive in my mouth. :) YUCK!!! :)

OP
OP
afboundguy

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment about White Worms Surival in Fresh Water, chilled or not.

However if you are using a Peristaltic Pump, they work on rollers, that squeeze the tubes to do the pumping.

What I'm saying is (some) of the worms will get squished as they pass thru the pump.
Squished, not pulverized.
.....and NOT ALL THE WORMS would get squished since some will pass thru the pump between the rollers.
The squished ones would still be Fresh to Eat, just half dead.

I personally perfer the Squish worms, since they don't Wiggle Alive in my mouth. :) YUCK!!! :)

Thanks didn't think of that aspect. I guess it doesn't really matter that much my fish devour them within seconds anyways.. I will have to take your word on squished vs live worms though ;Vomit

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back