Who’s Using Solar Power To Run Their Aquariums? Paying $.30/kWh in lower NY.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of electricity in lower New York has just gone up to $.30/kHw. Cost of running my aquarium keeps rising. Thinking about getting solar panels to lower my electricity costs but realize there is a large upfront outlay.

Wondering which Reefers have decided to get solar panels to provide electricity for their homes and how’s it working out for them?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of electricity in lower New York has just gone up to $.30/kHw. Cost of running my aquarium keeps rising. Thinking about getting solar panels to lower my electricity costs but realize there is a large upfront outlay.

Wondering which Reefers have decided to get solar panels to provide electricity for their homes and how’s it working out for them?
Would like to get it. Unfortunately there is a lot of shade, cant see cutting the trees for solar.
If we had a bigger lot, i'd put the array on the ground for easier cleaning and maintenance.
Our rates are 1/2 what they were a year ago, in southern nh.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2, wow. What’s the cause?

Here in CT rates have constantly been rising. But I’ve never been a fan of solar. Unless you can put them in an out of the way field, IMO on a house they are a real eye-sore and take away from the aesthetic in a big way.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2, wow. What’s the cause?

Here in CT rates have constantly been rising. But I’ve never been a fan of solar. Unless you can put them in an out if the way field, IMO on a house they are a real eye-sore and take away from the aesthetic in bc a big way.
Natural gas prices

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many panels did you install and how many kHw do you produce on any average day?

Ours are on a barn roof facing a tiny bit north of west. So only afternoon sun. We got about 7,300 kwh all of last year. I'll have to count panels when it gets light out. lol

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are so many variables involved in solar - panel type/efficiency, location, direction, exposure, snow cover, ect.

I have a 25kw system on my property that was installed in 2020 for about 40k after all the then tax credits. Some days it will produce 150kw in a day some days near 0 kw. So far the app says it has produced 83.3 MWh of electricity over its lifetime. So at a rate of .30/kw it has produce just under $25K in electricity in about 4 years. But we only pay .12 per KW here.

My apex says my system is costing me about $67 month @ .12 per kw

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many variables involved in solar - panel type/efficiency, location, direction, exposure, snow cover, ect.

I have a 25kw system on my property that was installed in 2020 for about 40k after all the then tax credits. Some days it will produce 150kw in a day some days near 0 kw. So far the app says it has produced 83.3 MWh of electricity over its lifetime. So at a rate of .30/kw it has produce just under $25K in electricity in about 4 years. But we only pay .12 per KW here.

Where are you from and only pay $.12/kHW?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to get it. Unfortunately there is a lot of shade, cant see cutting the trees for solar.
If we had a bigger lot, i'd put the array on the ground for easier cleaning and maintenance.
Our rates are 1/2 what they were a year ago, in southern nh.
Wait, wait, wait! Your electricity rates have dropped by half over the last year? How the heck is that possibie?

Natural gas prices have come down but not by half!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, wait, wait! Your electricity rates have dropped by half over the last year? How the heck is that possibie?

Natural gas prices have come down but not by half!
Last year this time 32 or 34 cents, now 18. I am more surprised than you.
The prices are negotiated in 6 month periods, estimating future costs. 8 cents is the distribution cost, fixed, the rest is for power charges. So actual power cost dropped by more than 1/2.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is interesting!

So how many panels did you install and what’s their efficiency rating? Also, is there a battery backup in case the power goes out?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Solar and Battery.

About 20kW of solar and 40kWh of Battery keeps the house running most times.

When it doesn't it's around $US 0.40 per kWh

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar and Battery.

About 20kW of solar and 40kWh of Battery keeps the house running most times.

When it doesn't it's around $US 0.40 per kWh
How many solar panels do you have?

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is interesting!

So how many panels did you install and what’s their efficiency rating? Also, is there a battery backup in case the power goes out?
I'd have to count them but it's dark out : - ) Their on a 30'x70' foot building southwest facing side of roof full of panels. Not sure on their efficiency they were called black out panels at the time. Enphase is the system brand. No battery system, power outage are very rare here it wasn't worth the additional cost.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours are on a barn roof facing a tiny bit north of west. So only afternoon sun. We got about 7,300 kwh all of last year. I'll have to count panels when it gets light out. lol

I have 22 panels. On peak summer days, the panels produce more electricity than the rest of the system can handle and it maxes out at about 6 kW.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 22 panels. On peak summer days, the panels produce more electricity than the rest of the system can handle and it maxes out at about 6 kW.
So when you produce excess solar electricity, do you get credits for future grid electricity use?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back