Who’s Using Solar Power To Run Their Aquariums? Paying $.30/kWh in lower NY.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have not been through the process, a good solar company will look at your exact site, and develop a plan and tell you how many years to pay back the up front costs, after which electricity is basically free, assuming the system is still working.

You may also need to upgrade the roof or the electric panel. They will tell you that too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in addition to credit for electricity not used, we also get renewable energy credits that can be sold to folks who want to effectively use renewable energy in their own home.

Essentially, solar electricity is worth more than nonrenewable electricity sources.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially, solar electricity is worth more than nonrenewable electricity sources.

unless you live in the state of California which is regulated by captialist.

PG&E and Edision really want to NOT have people run solar, and decided to neuter a large portion of that buy back.

So you can give... you just will get very little credit for it, and they will profit all from it.
If i recall i think the exchange rate is 1:10 so you get 1 credit for every 10 you send out, and they profit off 9 you sold them at a HEAVY discount.

This is why in cali, the solar market is about to collapse completely, unless you truely go almost totally off grid with batteries, so you don't give back, but store for later usages when the sun is down.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also running halides and a chiller, and have 2 full size AC units to cool the house in the summer. I've had the solar and batteries about 4 years now, and haven't had an Electric bill since install, which has been pretty great. During the Summer I generate over 100kWh daily, which is enough to offset the winter months with less generation. We have one more year to hit the break even point.
How many solar panels do you have installed to generate 100kWH daily during the summer?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is Colorado, either your meter turns backwards or you have a newer true-use meter. They only settle up at the end of the month to see if they owe you - you get paid (or credits), but not as much as you would spend. You don't want to overproduce - this is just dumb. I wonder if the people talking on this thread actually have solar or are just hearing things... some of these things are a decade or more old and mostly from anti-solar groups.

Anybody on here actually have a solar system that does not give you daily credit for daytime over production that you can tap back into at night? Anybody?

My kid's house in San Diego has the meter spin backwards... you can watch it. I have no doubt that PG&E doesn't want to pay people at the end of the month, but they don't steal your daytime power and then not let you use it again at night.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many solar panels do you have installed to generate 100kWH daily during the summer?
I have 48 panels.. Currently on a moderately sunny day I'm generating 12.9kW, and utilizing 3.8kW. the 4x Powerwalls are 94% charged. Im at 59.1 kWh generated today as of 2:39PM Pacific.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 48 panels.. Currently on a moderately sunny day I'm generating 12.9kW, and utilizing 3.8kW. the 4x Powerwalls are 94% charged. Im at 59.1 kWh generated today as of 2:39PM Pacific.
Would you recommend the Powerwalls, especially the Powerwall3?

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerwalls are amazing, and from looking at the 3's they look to be more efficient than when I purchased, and if you can get the tax rebate, it's a no brainer. being able to store, has saved the tank during blackouts, and keeps me at a net positive with the electric company owing me at the end of the year, and i try to maximize usage. We recently switched over to heat pump laundry machines, and hope to do a heat pump instead of a furnace in the next few years.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody on here actually have a solar system that does not give you daily credit for daytime over production that you can tap back into at night? Anybody?

YES the entire North Cali portion regulated under CPUC under new NEM 3.0 guidelines.

You will NOT get anywhere close to back.

You need to create excess if you want to jump over peak usage hours and eat your credit. What else is the point in solar to generate all that power when your not even home without accumulating some form of credit or store in some form of battereies?

Bah... its getting to a point where its cheaper to buy batteries, and take your entire house off grid unless your batteries are drained by long periods of rain.

An analysis was actually done where were almost at that apex, where its cheaper to get solar + battereies then continue to pay PG&E and Southern Cali Edison.

My kid's house in San Diego has the meter spin backwards... you can watch it. I have no doubt that PG&E doesn't want to pay people at the end of the month, but they don't steal your daytime power and then not let you use it again at night.
Yea mine spins backwards too during the day.
I have a 12Kw array.

But again if your under PG&E or Edison, whats the point in going backwards when your only getting 1:10 of what actually rolled back?

Your kids got grandfathered on the NEM 2.0 or NEM 1.0 standards.
Its really bad in cali right now with solar.
Luckily im an earily adopter so i got my federal + state + my system is already almost paid off, but i only get grandfather'd rates for 15 or so more years.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like AB 2619 will probably have 80% of votes statewide - repeal NEM 3.0 introduced last week. Who in Cali has love for a utility company? It is still early, but likely to get passed in your 15 year grandfather time... or something similar.

It is easy - just read the meter at the end of the month and count kWh. The grid can regulate it's self. This is what other states and places do. Batteries are not cheap and not a solution for everybody.

I feel that Cali get a lot of undue garbage from folks with their cancer warnings, etc. with nearly everybody, or somebody that they know, in the US likely living longer because of them, but with Enron, rolling blackouts, Hinkley, etc. I am amazed that any utility anywhere in the US, let alone Cali, gets to make their own regulations still.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerwalls are amazing, and from looking at the 3's they look to be more efficient than when I purchased, and if you can get the tax rebate, it's a no brainer. being able to store, has saved the tank during blackouts, and keeps me at a net positive with the electric company owing me at the end of the year, and i try to maximize usage. We recently switched over to heat pump laundry machines, and hope to do a heat pump instead of a furnace in the next few years.
Now you are talking my language - heat pumps!!! My house is totally electric!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$0.30 kWh?. Is that for supply and delivery? Assume so. I’m paying $0.25 kWh for both in Stamford CT, but I signed a 3 yr supply deal some months ago. Before that I was at $0.35 kwh all in. Solar is a non-starter for me. Too many trees.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running solar here in California. Works amazingly. I do have batteries as well, so great for blackouts as well!

Anyone buying solar in California should consider batteries due to NEM 3. I would almost argue anyone putting in Solar with locations that favor high production windows install them. More states will follow along as Ca generally paves the way.

Solar works but as noted will vary by location, panels, generation window, and more. Are you planning on doing it yourself or contract? Buying it or leasing? Loans, shop around. Contractor? Make sure to get references and also 3 bids. There is a lot of churn in this space with small business going under with the home owner losing out.
Also one other thing to consider is EV's. I'm pushing batteries obviously because I wish I had them (currently going through several request for bids now) but EV's, charging, storage, backup energy, reef tank, primary appliances, and more. If you are going this far might as well factor in charging the car and allowing the car to act as a energy source should you need more power...

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone buying solar in California should consider batteries due to NEM 3. I would almost argue anyone putting in Solar with locations that favor high production windows install them. More states will follow along as Ca generally paves the way.

Solar works but as noted will vary by location, panels, generation window, and more. Are you planning on doing it yourself or contract? Buying it or leasing? Loans, shop around. Contractor? Make sure to get references and also 3 bids. There is a lot of churn in this space with small business going under with the home owner losing out.
Also one other thing to consider is EV's. I'm pushing batteries obviously because I wish I had them (currently going through several request for bids now) but EV's, charging, storage, backup energy, reef tank, primary appliances, and more. If you are going this far might as well factor in charging the car and allowing the car to act as a energy source should you need more power...
Which cars can also be used as a battery source?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which cars can also be used as a battery source?

One of the Tesla either has the option or will with built in bidirectional charging. I think that was the name. Honda and Ford I think have discussed it. The only reason why I noted it is because I'm currently shopping around and don't know if it required a specific inverter.

I think the concern from what I've been reading is the additional charge, or discharge cycles and how it impacts batteries.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tesla, and Ford lightning both need a specific inverter in order to send power back to the house. Last I saw quoted was something like $5-7k for either vehicle. Still cheaper than a Powerwall, but along thwe same pricing as enphase, etc. And you aren't charging your vehicle's battery during the day ( if you are commuting, or using). So you would be pulling from the grid to charge it overnight. Great for outages, but not for lowering your usage.

When I purchased my Solar setup (17.X KW on the roof, and 4x Powerwalls) I was completely draining my powerwalls charging my Model S p85D. It was actually cheaper for me to charge at the Superchargers, as I had free supercharging. When calculating time wasted at charging locations, and the cost of electricity charging at home, I opted to go back to ICE vehicles. Still driving my 2004 prius as well for petroleum savings :)

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tesla, and Ford lightning both need a specific inverter in order to send power back to the house. Last I saw quoted was something like $5-7k for either vehicle. Still cheaper than a Powerwall, but along thwe same pricing as enphase, etc. And you aren't charging your vehicle's battery during the day ( if you are commuting, or using). So you would be pulling from the grid to charge it overnight. Great for outages, but not for lowering your usage.

When I purchased my Solar setup (17.X KW on the roof, and 4x Powerwalls) I was completely draining my powerwalls charging my Model S p85D. It was actually cheaper for me to charge at the Superchargers, as I had free supercharging. When calculating time wasted at charging locations, and the cost of electricity charging at home, I opted to go back to ICE vehicles. Still driving my 2004 prius as well for petroleum savings :)
So what’s the verdict on your solar panel setup?

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar + Storage setup for house is amazing, and no regrets. Would do it again, and would add more batteries! :)

I am not ready to live with only an electric car at this point, as I commute too much, and wasnt offset enough for the charging.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back