Who’s Using Solar Power To Run Their Aquariums? Paying $.30/kWh in lower NY.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar + Storage setup for house is amazing, and no regrets. Would do it again, and would add more batteries! :)

I am not ready to live with only an electric car at this point, as I commute too much, and wasnt offset enough for the charging.
Thanks! Time for me to install solar!

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of electricity in lower New York has just gone up to $.30/kHw. Cost of running my aquarium keeps rising. Thinking about getting solar panels to lower my electricity costs but realize there is a large upfront outlay.

Wondering which Reefers have decided to get solar panels to provide electricity for their homes and how’s it working out for them?
I never thought about running solar on my aquariums, maybe I should look into it, I had solar panels on my roof when I lived in Florida to heat my pool, it did not work real good to heat my pool in the Winter and some Spring and Fall, worked very good in the Summer, but I think it would be different or better if it was in the inside of the house, I think not as much demand as a pool.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about running solar on my aquariums, maybe I should look into it, I had solar panels on my roof when I lived in Florida to heat my pool, it did not work real good to heat my pool in the Winter and some Spring and Fall, worked very good in the Summer, but I think it would be different or better if it was in the inside of the house, I think not as much demand as a pool.
Where are you now?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the Powerwalls, especially the Powerwall3?

In my case, the benefit of a battery is that it would allow islanding in a power failure, but the added expense was huge and we opted to not do so.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, the benefit of a battery is that it would allow islanding in a power failure, but the added expense was huge and we opted to not do so.
Same situation as @Randy Holmes-Farley . When we installed, the cost of the needed powerwalls would have doubled the project, and the tax credits (since in our case, they were dependent on what our actual tax amount owed to NY was) would not cover the added cost. Also, the ROI in the 10 year warranty period on them was not there at that point.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed 22 panels on my house about 10 years ago. That was my last house and I installed the system myself so it hardly cost me anything and with the rebates, The system paid itself back in about 6 months. It saved me a third of my bill and I am on Long Island NY.

I had to put this mesh around the panels because squirrels nested under them and ate through the wires and made a large hole in my shingles and tar paper.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 35 panels on my new home, (on back/southern facing side, not visible from street) just turned on this year…I also have a 20k generator for backup, since the panels produce for the grid, not my own house/fish tank!
1710528596104.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back