Who “literally” HAND FEEDS their fish???

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all the time.

Funny enough, they won't come to my wife if she tries. I believe this alone confirms that they recognize the individual coming up to the tank.
Mine even know when it is feeding or housing keeping time. When it is housing keeping time, they all stay at the back and peeking at me through the holes ;)

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a result of my laziness I usually take broken food and stick it in front of a powerhead to disperse in the tank. My sailfin doesn’t wait and just eats it out of my hand. The teeth are scratchy when it gets my fingers, it doesn’t cut.

Nice!!! My Sailfin is 3 times that……with molers! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand feed mine strawberries and bananas as a treat every now and again.

B04B0252-4F9C-4D07-A5B2-A7BE20BFE4CC.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are too small to hand feed plus they're mostly bottom dwellers so I target feed using a medicine dropper. Now they just sit on the dropper and wait for the food to squirt out or they poke at it thinking that's how the food dispenses. They're super smart and anyone who says otherwise has never kept fish! I also believe they know the hand that feeds them and strangers aren't necessarily allowed into their private world. Just their special caretaker. :)

Phiilip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake eel back in the 90s and hand fed him live feeder comets. Like most morays, he couldn’t see a dang thing but he could smell. As soon as the comet hit the water, he’d start going nuts looking for it. He learned to eat out of my hand and would just chomp away until he found the feeder comet. Didn’t really hurt since he was small and didn’t have any teeth. Would not recommend that for any other type of moray though!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, I have a CBB. I think it would take a while for mine to get the courage to do that.
Hands down my favorite fish. I always loved this video of this ccb named Willie chasing a baster end for black worms. My cbb started eating mysis fairly quickly, but I also had blackworms on hand just in case and those really got him excited. He started grabbing them out as soon as the cup hit the water and after about a month I noticed aiptasia disappearing from the QT he was in. I keep aiptasia outside my DT because he loves them and nothing else will touch them, so I figured if he will peck the cup in my hand he'll take it from my hand.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down my favorite fish. I always loved this video of this ccb named Willie chasing a baster end for black worms. My cbb started eating mysis fairly quickly, but I also had blackworms on hand just in case and those really got him excited. He started grabbing them out as soon as the cup hit the water and after about a month I noticed aiptasia disappearing from the QT he was in. I keep aiptasia outside my DT because he loves them and nothing else will touch them, so I figured if he will peck the cup in my hand he'll take it from my hand.
Agreed!!! Best and best looking! No Aptasias in the dt. In the overflow and sump yes, lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always admired the hobbyist and fish relationship when it comes to “hand feeding”. I’ve done it with one fish, my Unicorn Tang, but the food is Nori…a large piece of Nori. But my larger fish in my display, I just don’t want to lose a chunk of skin.

Who of you are brave enough?
7CF8C871-4ACE-4D5F-A30D-C9F91DFAD940.gif
If I did it… the clown would most likely purposefully miss the food and go for my arm. Although, I have accidentally hand fed the CBB several times as he’s usually the first at the food and my hand often catches pieces of food.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back