Who all keeps Mangroves?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,889
Reaction score
122,560
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who all keeps them and in what way? Fuge, overflow, etc..
 
I always thought they looked cool but have never tried them. What does it take to care for them?
 
Ive just added 5 red mangroves from reefcleaners about a month ago. I would also like to know what other people do to take care of them. I have them in my sump/fuge held together with a rubber band and there roots in my chaeto with some ulva in there as well. The tops are about 3 inches above the water line. I light them with a regular shop light with a 65k bulb. Ive also heard that you should spray them off with RO/DI water to keep the salt off them. I was wondering how often people spray theres?
 
I am interested in possibly putting a few in my display. I think it would be so cool tgo suspend em and let the roots grow down to the rocks and sand.. becoming maybe a lagoon tank..
This is something I plan to explore in one of my future tanks.

From what I hear standark 6500k lighting is all they need to grow decently and yes spraying them off weekly ish is recommended.. i mean after all it does rain outside.. and this is how they get cleaned..
 
I have about 8 in the back chamber of my tank, as long as their roots are submersed they will do fine. I keep a small LED light shining over them for about 10 hours a day and every now and then I would pour some r/o water over the leaves and stalks. The roots grow pretty fast and I usually have to break them off whenever I go to clean the back since it would grow through my filter floss, on my purigen, through a piece of sponge, pretty much everywhere.... but as far as the stalk and leaves, they grow pretty slow. I bought mine from ReefCleaners and have had for almost a year now and that's how much they've grown. I also have some I'm trying to grow out sitting on my porch in a bottle I cut in half and filled with r/o, once the leaves sprout I will put them in the back of the tank.

You can see how I run them in this video starting at 0:57

25 gallon Reef - YouTube



 
Last edited:
Idk whether the red mangroves secrete the salt or just get a build up from the salt, but thats why I water them. Red and black mangroves are different in the way they grow in saltwater. I like to spray mine often even tho I know its probably not necissary. Like everynite lol I really like the idea of keeping them in a DT. I think the lagoon idea is great!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new