Who doses potassium?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you guys dose potassium? What's your target level? What are your preferred supplements for maintaining levels?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used RedSea Colors (part B if I remember correctly) for potassium. Not having a snazzy new Mindstream, testing for potassium was difficult at best with common potassium test kits. Like a 30+ minute wait time to find out if I did it correctly. Don't remember the exact ppm, but it seemed to work well. Pinks and blues were more pronounced.
Since switching to a calcium reactor using TLF Reborn, I haven't bothered testing.
Now if you wanted me to use your Mindstream to get better results.....

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used RedSea Colors (part B if I remember correctly) for potassium. Not having a snazzy new Mindstream, testing for potassium was difficult at best with common potassium test kits. Like a 30+ minute wait time to find out if I did it correctly. Don't remember the exact ppm, but it seemed to work well. Pinks and blues were more pronounced.
Since switching to a calcium reactor using TLF Reborn, I haven't bothered testing.
Now if you wanted me to use your Mindstream to get better results.....
Haha! Yep. I've never paid attention to it until now that I have the Mindstream. Now, I'd like to keep it in range.

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium takes a long time to test (red sea kit) so I test it once per month. I've been sitting at 410-420 for a couple months now but with very little calcification load. If it's useful info, I'm dosing 5g of potassium nitrate to 50g of system water per week (to maintain 0.2-0.5ppm nitrate). I'm curious to see where the potassium sits after a month or two since I have very little coralline & coral growth in the new tank (starting from frags). If it's high I'll have to find a second nitrate chemical to dose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I add 4ml every 3 days to my tank. I use Brightwell brand

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep it around 390-400. Especially on my old system that had alot more sps. The test is such a pain though. Half the time it doesnt read right. Now I just make sure my water changes are done on time. And hope it's good enough. I use the red sea pro salt.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my red monti cap fades a tad I know mine is lower. Usually happens if I let my fuge chaeto grow out too much. I'll test then and bring it back up to 400. It's been as low as 340

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measure potassium with Salifert and dose to around 430 with Potassion.

I also try to maintain it above 400 by dosing two little fishies.

@rkpetersen what are your thoughts on the Salifert test? I have 3 of their kits (accidentally added multiple in my shopping cart) and all 3 give me wildly different results. Not sure which one to believe...

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also try to maintain it above 400 by dosing two little fishies.

@rkpetersen what are your thoughts on the Salifert test? I have 3 of their kits (accidentally added multiple in my shopping cart) and all 3 give me wildly different results. Not sure which one to believe...

I've been quite happy with it.
It's true that its precision is only 10 ppm.
My ICP-OES potassium readings are always very close to my Salifert readings taken at the time the ICP tests were sent.
For example my most recent ones from just a couple weeks ago were Salifert 410, ATI 399, and Triton 408.

The tip of the reagent 3 bottle has to be dry and completely vertical; that's the only tip I can offer.

And I don't do any of the cleaning they recommend.
I just clean out the precipitate with a wet paper towel under running water and rinse with RODI.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been quite happy with it.
It's true that its precision is only 10 ppm.
My ICP-OES potassium readings are always very close to my Salifert readings taken at the time the ICP tests were sent.
For example my most recent ones from just a couple weeks ago were Salifert 410, ATI 399, and Triton 408.

The tip of the reagent 3 bottle has to be dry and completely vertical; that's the only tip I can offer.

And I don't do any of the cleaning they recommend.
I just clean out the precipitate with a wet paper towel under running water and rinse with RODI.

Thanks!
I literally get between 370 and 430 with the 3.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Zeo Potassium Strong but could never get it up in the 400 range so I switched to Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD dosed in equal amounts 2 weeks ago & now it is in the 390-400 range with Red Sea test kit. Along with Reef Energy AB coral is looking much better

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim to keep potassium around 400. I've had it as low as 350 & seen negative effects on montipora, & I've also seen new frags lose tissue when added - when I saw this I dosed a lot of potassium & the RTN stopped. I use Salifert K test kit but find it to be off - when it reads 390, my ICP says it's 350.
I use Brightwell potassium. Current level is about 440 ppm with no issues.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim to keep potassium around 400. I've had it as low as 350 & seen negative effects on montipora, & I've also seen new frags lose tissue when added - when I saw this I dosed a lot of potassium & the RTN stopped. I use Salifert K test kit but find it to be off - when it reads 390, my ICP says it's 350.
I use Brightwell potassium. Current level is about 440 ppm with no issues.
I use the Red Sea Potassium kit & find it to be very consistent

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone! I just found I have a Red Sea Colors kit that's unopened. Got K back in the safe zone. Now I'll dose the others based on calcium/potassium uptake until I can get the test kits to bring those things in line.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 I use Brightwell product. I ICP/Triton every 3 months to be sure on the dosage. 300g system and 20ml/dose on Monday and Thursday's.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DIY recipe of potassium chloride and aim to keep my potassium at the same level as my calcium, about 450ppm. If I do not dose, it usually will drop to about 360-380ppm in 4-6 weeks. I think carbon dosing and the associated bacterial growth reduces the levels a little.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it with no testing. I usually add a half cap full of the potassium and iodide from the red sea colors kit every two days or so.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back