who else buys brown acropora colonies? lets see some before and after photos! :)

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely enough, it was my LFS who suggested that I actively lower my nutrients. That was strange because he had some truly ugly acros that turned beautiful in my tank. So maybe I should have schooled him on raising his nutrients. Lol.

I dont have rock solid evidence just my own opinion and tanks but I think what makes acros brownout or lose color is not so much nutrients as is stability. Some of the nicest tanks I have seen run crazy high on nutrients. There are dozens I have watched I cant seem to remember the owners maybe someone can help me out but one I do remember is Sanjays reef tank. His nitrates are 50 plus and he keeps phosphates at 0.4 I dont beleive these levels should be kept at zero. There is also another thing every system is different once it stabilizes. I noticed that after the first few weeks and when you are finished adding fish phosphates and nitrates stabilize if you let them and become super stable. I dont test anymore because I already know what results I will get. Nitrates always between 8 and 10 and phosphate always 0.2

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have rock solid evidence just my own opinion and tanks but I think what makes acros brownout or lose color is not so much nutrients as is stability. Some of the nicest tanks I have seen run crazy high on nutrients. There are dozens I have watched I cant seem to remember the owners maybe someone can help me out but one I do remember is Sanjays reef tank. His nitrates are 50 plus and he keeps phosphates at 0.4 I dont beleive these levels should be kept at zero. There is also another thing every system is different once it stabilizes. I noticed that after the first few weeks and when you are finished adding fish phosphates and nitrates stabilize if you let them and become super stable. I dont test anymore because I already know what results I will get. Nitrates always between 8 and 10 and phosphate always 0.2

I agree 100%. The number isn't as important as the fact that it stays the same. Acros can thrive if parameters don't hop around.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely its new growth it looks healthy! :)
you can go to petco and buy a api calcium and alk testits not that horrible gives you ball park numbers, if it looks to far off just test again! i think its like 5 or 10 dollars each so its not that bad for keeping track of whats happening in the tank. comes with instructions and vials
I have a Hannah tester. I blew a disc in my back and I have been in bed since Thursday. Today is the first day I could walk a little. Any way I went and tester and alk tested at 7.1 ouch. I just dose some all. Thanks for saying something.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hannah tester. I blew a disc in my back and I have been in bed since Thursday. Today is the first day I could walk a little. Any way I went and tester and alk tested at 7.1 ouch. I just dose some all. Thanks for saying something.
ouch, i remember when i was child up in the mountains there was snow on the ground and the day befor it started to melt. in the morning it was frozen with fresh snow my mother tried opening the door to the mercedes suv and fell busted 2 lower disks. :( she was down for the count for about 3 months. im sorry for the pain that i witness my mother go through

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one by my house does.
As does mine. Sometimes they end up with reasonable pieces. A few weeks ago I bought a 3 head Duncan for $10 I believe. A lot of times the SPS are pretty colorless/dead looking. If I could talk down the price somewhat, I'd be willing to try buying them.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As does mine. Sometimes they end up with reasonable pieces. A few weeks ago I bought a 3 head Duncan for $10 I believe. A lot of times the SPS are pretty colorless/dead looking. If I could talk down the price somewhat, I'd be willing to try buying them.
this petco is pretty new, and they have amazing fish. if its not too busy try to haggle it does work if you talk to the right person it goes something loke this "hey i need help with my reef tank. who knows the most here about saltwater?" now its time to haggle with that person lol.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I highly recommend buying browned-out acros for a good price. None of mine have stayed brown. Many times they turn green but sometimes you get a true gem.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sMQjrr2.jpg

Is now
xv35Q6J.png

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy brown ones do you dip them before you put them in your talk. I guess what i am asking does it hurt them. The porcillpora I got I just toss it in. Not really the thing to do.
I dip every single coral no matter what.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back