Who Else Hates Wires in the Tank. What’s your solution?

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate seeing wires in and around the display tank. The fact that the Vortech MP pumps have the backside and wire outside the tank is enough of an incentive for me to spring and get them. However I really want to try the maxspect gyres as I’ve heard great things about them and the blanket of flow that they create; plus I have them already . Maybe a combination between the MPs and the gyres would work. However the maxspects come with a wire that will wrap around the eurobrace of my tank which will just ruin it for me.

I was thinking that I could drill a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch hole in the back of the tank as a wire port? Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas on how to seal off the bulkhead to prevent water from entering the port?
I’m really just looking for a solution to hide wires. All ideas are appreciated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not drill the back of the tank - I have 2 gyres - you really do not notice the wires - unless you often look at. both sides of your tank from the side - for example - one side of my tank is near the wall - I don't notice the wire. Probably - because there is still a pump sitting there - that you can manipulate the wire behind, etc.

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perosnaly I was looking at the difference options of gyro v mp40 and decided on the mp40, mostly due to the fact I had heard grate things about the mp's and not having the motors in the tank.

Unless your really really confident in drilling your tank i wouldn't, slightest mistake and end of tank

If you do want to you could just use a waterproof cable gland.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place the gyres higher up so that might help things, I would not be drilling holes, if the gyres don’t work for you, go mp, I doubt you would regret getting them but the wires will be a constant niggle.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely in the 'hate wires in the display' camp. I use vortechs mostly and have all heaters in the sump. Rather than a hole in the back, why don't you put the hole into the eurobrace, right above the gyre location? Then most of the wire will be on top off rather than in the tank. I had a slot routed into the eurobrace above my internal skim box, partly so I can access the box but also partly to route wires unobtrusively because that is where I mount any wired powerheads.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am definitely in the 'hate wires in the display' camp. I use vortechs mostly and have all heaters in the sump. Rather than a hole in the back, why don't you put the hole into the eurobrace, right above the gyre location? Then most of the wire will be on top off rather than in the tank. I had a slot routed into the eurobrace above my internal skim box, partly so I can access the box but also partly to route wires unobtrusively because that is where I mount any wired powerheads.

One comment - depending on what tank you have - drilling or modifying it in any way - will void the warranty. Not that warranties are that helpful If the tank is >1 year old

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate wire on my DT so

MP10, MP40 or MP60.....

This is the way.....
I have spoken....
:D
Curious - what is the difference between a wire outside the tank - or a wire inside the tank (unless your pumps are behind an opaque wall)?

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - what is the difference between a wire outside the tank - or a wire inside the tank (unless your pumps are behind an opaque wall)?

1. You don't see them when looking inside the tank
  2. They don't get full of grown stuff like GHA, Cyano, Coralline.
  3. The pumps are way smaller and don't look so ugly.
  4. The heat generated by the pumps is not transferred to the water, living in FL this is very important to me.
  5. Much easier maintenance, you don't need to remove bunch of cables to service or clean the heads.
Cheers

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my vortechs I can run the wire to the nearest side, then it hides against the stand or back. I use the command removable clips to secure the cable, which you can't use in the tank. They just stay tighter, out of the way, and don't move if they are outside. Also for maintenence you just need to pull out the inside of the powerhead, not the whole thing wire and all, to clean it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One comment - depending on what tank you have - drilling or modifying it in any way - will void the warranty. Not that warranties are that helpful If the tank is >1 year old

True! Unless you have the manufacturer do it :cool:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really really really terrible idea to drill holes below the waterline for wires to pass through.

Not only would they be prone to leaking due to vibration and wire flexing, but it would be impossible to remove the pump for maintenance.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm weird. I like the look of wires in my tank more than I like the look of having an enormous motor block hanging off the side of my tank.

I have 3d-printed a bunch of small wire clips so my wires run along seams and in straightlines - which makes them much less obtrusive.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated wires in my tanks. I then came to hate sending my vortechs in for service probably a dozen times between the two (yes, I had some of the very first, but still). I tolerate two wires on two large Tunzes and have no complaints after 10 years.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 back sides of my tank are covered with black cloth. Any wires from the Mp60's can not be seen from the front 2 sides. It also makes the C to C overflow plumbing to be hidden. Built into the wall makes for hidden lighting, sea swirls wires and return piping.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn’t really bother me. Wires are either going to be in the tank with gyres, Nero or Tunze, or outside the tank in the same spot with a Vortech. With flow pumps the only alternative to not seeing them at all is running vortechs on the back wall, but I’ve never liked the flow I get with that on rectangle tanks.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from MP pumps to Neros for just this reason. The wave maker is already inside the tank. It’s not like Vortechs look any better on the inside, and their wet sides are among the longer and more visible designs. I can barely see the wire going up at a 45 degree angle from my Nero against a dark background.

What I do find distracting are half soda can size earmuffs on the outside and a wire that is backlit and much more noticeable if you are looking at the tank from any angle other than straight on. My tank is in the living room and some of the tank views are partially through the side.

To each his own, but I find claims that Vortech pumps are somehow less visible to be dubious at best....

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back