Who has a Crystal Dynamics aquarium?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 180 for about a year and love it. Someone told me they thought the CDA were “overbuilt” with all of the reinforcing. Double euro brace, armored seams, reinforced star board bottom and steel stand. They certainly have a case, but I like all of the reinforcing and the extra insurance it brings. CDA customer service was great too!

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Crystal Dynamic Aquarium 72 L x 30 W x 27 H since January 2019 and no problems so far.
If you don’t mind me asking what’s the thickness of your glass as I’m debating on cda for 72*30*24 and seeing the quote as 1/2in

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 1/2 and my tank is the largest they suggest before going to 3/4.
I also went with dimensions that bordered 1/2" glass. After seeing all the reinforcements and added precautions they implement I'm not worried about this tank's structural integrity at all. 3/4" glass really bumps up build costs an also limits powerhead choices.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with dimensions that bordered 1/2" glass. After seeing all the reinforcements and added precautions they implement I'm not worried about this tank's structural integrity at all. 3/4" glass really bumps up build costs an also limits powerhead choices.
Very true. There’s also the issue of weight. My tank empty weights around 650 lbs. I can’t imagine what 3/4” would come in at.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it as I was getting a bit concerned with it being 1/2in but that was my understanding as well relating to size plus their reinforcement.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an older thread here.... but it looks like all the tanks above were new when this was posted. Any further thoughts at this time?? One of the things I have seen with several custom tanks is the seams chipping on the inside from glass cleaning. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. How are the seams holding up for you all in this regard?

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an older thread here.... but it looks like all the tanks above were new when this was posted. Any further thoughts at this time?? One of the things I have seen with several custom tanks is the seams chipping on the inside from glass cleaning. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. How are the seams holding up for you all in this regard?

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their 72x36x22 250 gallon and their seams are armored with plastic so you do not damage the seams. The lower glass is double paned and the upper eurobrace supports the glass with no cross brace. It is def the nicest tank I have owned and Ive owned a few Red Seas and other random tanks.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank isn’t even wet yet. I think it is possible to break a seam on any and all tanks.

I've only had my tank for a little more than 3 months. The seams are armored and the tank appears solidly built, but it's only been short amount of time.

My tank is still being built.

I have had my Crystal Dynamic Aquarium 72 L x 30 W x 27 H since January 2019 and no problems so far.

I have a 72x25x25 from CDA wet since April 2020. The tank is built like a tank. Double eurobraced, reinforced seams and sits on steel stand. Great tank and worth every penny. The folks at CDA are great to work with as well.

We love our CDA 72x28x26 with steel stand. Almost a year old not one issue. Trent & Zoya were awesome to work with & the tank was delivered on time. Check out my build thread.
I would recommend them. Good luck with your decision

I have a CDA tank as well. They are great and very well built

I have a CDA tank. I got my tank in 2019 and filled with water in Nov 2019.
It's 250 gallon (72x30x27). Double euro-braced top and bottom, protected corners and open top. I have this on powdered coated steel stand with wood wrap.
I'm from the Bay Area and have heard recently of people having issues. My tank is going strong and I have no issues.

I just ordered a CDA tank. About a 3 month wait time right now.
they where the most responsive and patient with my questions. Several other big name builders either didn’t respond or would take weeks to respond.
I am sure you can find at least 1 or 2 seam failures on almost every brand out there. I hope mine will be good when it gets here.

I have had two CDA tanks now. Current is a 360 (72X48x24) peninsula and it is solid. I would recommend.

I have a 150 gal up and running since this past December. I researched custom tanks throughly prior to going with CDA and did not find any issues. It is very well made and looks like it's indestructible with reinforced sides and starboard bottom. Have you talked with Zoya concerning this?

I have a 180 thats been running since about September. No issues here. Double euro brace top/bottom with armored seams.

If you don’t mind me asking what’s the thickness of your glass as I’m debating on cda for 72*30*24 and seeing the quote as 1/2in

My tank is 1/2 and my tank is the largest they suggest before going to 3/4.

I have their 72x36x22 250 gallon and their seams are armored with plastic so you do not damage the seams. The lower glass is double paned and the upper eurobrace supports the glass with no cross brace. It is def the nicest tank I have owned and Ive owned a few Red Seas and other random tanks.
Curious if everyone could give us an update on how they're liking their tank several years later. I know I pm'd you already @sdreef on another forum so sorry for the double ask.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 120 Gallon CDA, it came with the Wood Stand, when they built matching wood stands. The Aquarium is built like a Tank. Mine has Euro-bracing just at the Top, but the bottom glass is a couple mm thicker than the sides. I had a place I was concerned about on the middle, lower front. I had some loan me a Scope, and I looked down the glass from the side. The Yoga Mat has a couple of spots on it. That’s what I’m seeing.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if everyone could give us an update on how they're liking their tank several years later. I know I pm'd you already @sdreef on another forum so sorry for the double ask.

I would use them again. No regrets with the tank / stand. In the future I may consider a closed loop and consider if I want to account for flow differently when building the tank, but that has nothing to do with the manufacturer. I've been happy with this tank 2.5 years in without any issues. The finish on the stand was quality and has held up well.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd used them again. They truly are built like tanks.
- The added bracing at the bottom, and doubled at the top give me a lot of confidence in this tank lasting for a long time. They do add a lot of weight to the tank but also note that the top bracing is doubled up and siliconed together with black silicone. While this looks super clean aesthetically take light blockage into account. The bracing is a bit over 3" if I remember correctly so my 50x36" footprint has and opening of 43-44x30ish".
-Doubled up bottom glass + starboard bottom is a great feature. That plus all the added bracing does make these heavier and harder to move

My tank had a few cosmetic pin holes in the bottom bracing. This was from when they remove the spacers that create a gap for silicon injection from what I understand. I'm local so they were able to come out and fill them since I noticed before fill. I was told they were cosmetic only but still shouldn't have made it by QC in my opinion.

I ordered the steel stand. I went with epoxy and it's been holding off rust very well. Aesthetically it's not super durable to scratching like powder coating, but I do feel it's held off superficial rust better. Specifically in the corners/weld points.

Ask lots of questions when delivered. My stand had a top and bottom (top being slightly thicker tubing) I straight up got lucky I installed everything the right side up as it wasn't super noticeable to me or anyone helping me move it.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still running and has been great. I would be buy another from them if I ever needed bigger but now I just have frag systems with my CDA as the display.

Mech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about ordering a CDA 72x34x22 rimless 3/4". Just found this forum about all this and it has made me alot more comfortable to order through them. Any other concerns or horror stories before i do? lol

Last edited:

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about ordering a CDA 72x34x22 rimless 3/4". Just found this forum about all this and it has made me alot more comfortable to order through them. Any other concerns or horror stories before i do? lol
Ive gone down the rimless route many times, but honestly the way they build their rims, its looks rather seamless. Its also piece of mind. Even at 22" tall I'd still prefer a eurobrace. My 72 x 36 x 22 is double euro braced at the top and no bracing front to back and its beautiful

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still enjoying mine. Let life get in the way and stopped posting. Love the tank, just not the Dinos that keep coming and going!

Edit: only regret it have is not going with a larger overflow in the back to account for larger area surface skimming.

B249EE79-9C58-4A7D-A2B3-157AE9A77C72.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back