Who has a TRUE Weeping Willow?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a weeping willow in my 4’ Leather heavy tank. So far I have a pink and purple polyp Sinularia, 2 neon green kenyas and two frags of a grey/blue leather. Hopefully I can come across a WW in my LFS.

What’s the main differences between a true WW and a regular long polyp leather?

Sounds like an awesome collection so far!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome collection so far!
It’s nice to sit back and have the corals that aren’t so needy. Love collecting the leathers that get overlooked and just sit in the LFS for several months. Nobody really cares for leathers as much anymore over here and my LFS has a nice sized tank dedicated to just their leathers, so why not go for a leather and softie heavy tank? :)

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took these pictures Feb 16th. Lord knows that they look like now or if she has any left. She does not ship. These are true weeping willows imo. When you kill the flow the polyps should be long enough to droop and look like a weeping willow tree.
D

Attachments

• 20220217_183347.jpg
    20220217_183347.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220217_183357.jpg
    20220217_183357.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 82

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over saturated with blue as she like most typical reefers likes to watch the glow.
I'll ask her to turn up some white for the next photo shoot. Lol!
I need to take a decent camera with me next time to get her some sales photos too.
D

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to sit back and have the corals that aren’t so needy. Love collecting the leathers that get overlooked and just sit in the LFS for several months. Nobody really cares for leathers as much anymore over here and my LFS has a nice sized tank dedicated to just their leathers, so why not go for a leather and softie heavy tank? :)
My issue with leathers is their chemical warfare. In my old 125 I had 3 toadstools. 1 was 13" across. Every sps or lps I put in that tank died. Zoas, palys, rhodactis survived. Nothing else. Ran carbon 24/7. Then I ran across an article about toadstools and chemicals. One issue I think was my clowns thought it a good substitute for a nem and prob. kept it irritated. As soon as I removed the leathers, picked up some lps, they survived. I got my new tank because I thought the 125 had bad rock or something wrong with it (aside for the powerheads all dying). I know now my biggest issue was that leather. Now those lps in my new display are thriving and growing . So no leathers in the new tank though I have a small one my bil gave me. It gets big it goes into the 45g.

Exception would be a weeping willow which can also go in the 45

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with leathers is their chemical warfare. In my old 125 I had 3 toadstools. 1 was 13" across. Every sps or lps I put in that tank died. Zoas, palys, rhodactis survived. Nothing else. Ran carbon 24/7. Then I ran across an article about toadstools and chemicals. One issue I think was my clowns thought it a good substitute for a nem and prob. kept it irritated. As soon as I removed the leathers, picked up some lps, they survived. I got my new tank because I thought the 125 had bad rock or something wrong with it (aside for the powerheads all dying). I know now my biggest issue was that leather. Now those lps in my new display are thriving and growing . So no leathers in the new tank though I have a small one my bil gave me. It gets big it goes into the 45g.

Exception would be a weeping willow which can also go in the 45
I always find this strange as I had huge leathers in my mix tanks without issue. Rarely ran carbon. I had tons of LPS next to them and SPS on the other side of the tank. Clowns did not play in the leathers though.

I did stop doing mixed tank when my first kid came along but I still have some leftover LPS that are now surrounded by EVEN more leathers and no carbon and they are well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t do many SPS species in my 4’ tank anyway (Hence why I now have a nano 3’ SPS tank). None of my leathers bother my LPS, although I do have a Favia that appears to be dying for no reason. I have other LPS (Duncan, Frammer, Torch, Caulastrea) in the tank that thrive still.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always find this strange as I had huge leathers in my mix tanks without issue. Rarely ran carbon. I had tons of LPS next to them and SPS on the other side of the tank. Clowns did not play in the leathers though.
Basically same results for over 20 yrs…
1664483724060.jpeg

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing this thread pick back up! I have been leather hunting and currently hold two strains I would consider as close to willow as it gets LOL!

One frag being from Remy "Bahama LLama Corals" and another from a strain off a gentleman named Kevin in the bay area with an unreal specimen. Ill have to snag some pictures soon for the thread! Cheers all!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love seeing this thread pick back up! I have been leather hunting and currently hold two strains I would consider as close to willow as it gets LOL!

One frag being from Remy "Bahama LLama Corals" and another from a strain off a gentleman named Kevin in the bay area with an unreal specimen. Ill have to snag some pictures soon for the thread! Cheers all!
any contact name for the bay area guy? That's an hour from me!

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a frag from this colony that seller said was a weeping willow. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-221037.png
    Screenshot_20221118-221037.png
    768.7 KB · Views: 66

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original weeping willow isn't green at all.

1668839389280.png

My green one has long polyps just like many of the ones shown here but calling it weeping willow seem's wrong since it can't be from the original parent colony. Shrug.

It's just a name though so if it has longer polyps you can call it weeping willow to bring price up.

It is just the thread says 'true' so I assume they mean from original parent colony.

Art Calde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The original weeping willow isn't green at all.

1668839389280.png

My green one has long polyps just like many of the ones shown here but calling it weeping willow seem's wrong since it can't be from the original parent colony. Shrug.
Weeping willow trees are green ‍♂️

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeping willow trees are green ‍♂️

The original one isn't green... the green ones can have long polyps sure... but how does that make them a true weeping willow? Wouldn't a frag from the original weeping willow make it a true one? Just like a split from say a black widow BTA vs other red/dark centered BTA's?

Personally I am seeing long polyp toad pics and not weeping willow. The pic I just linked is clearly longer polyps that does not stand up at all.

I know that there are lots of different Sarcophyton toadstool leather corals out there with long and even really long polyps. But for me, the Weeping Willow is The One and only toadstool leather coral with the impossibly long polyps, that I’ve grown in countless tanks, and which I’ve shared with the extended reefer family since all the way back in 2001.

Venders have slapped weeping willow on toadstool names that have longer polyps but putting a name on it doesn't really make it so. I suppose that is why the name game is silly sometimes.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find them online.

If you check page one and two, the toadstool you just linked is said to not be true weeping willow with pics of what people have recieved/grown. I have never purchased one from them though. They have some neat stuff but shipping is oofta to where I am at.

Back