Who has a TRUE Weeping Willow?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to talk about a white whale of this hobby?...

The Weeping Willow Toadstool. Thats right. A toadstool is the white whale of this hobby.

Every day I wake up and think about how I can attain even a small piece of this beautiful coral.. There are so many vendors and hobbyists out there that claim they "have" a weeping willow... I have been sold now three frags that were supposed "willows" but I never get my hopes up because it takes a certain criteria to truly be a willow...

@Reefbuilders has a beautiful video and article about this exact topic.. and Jake if you see this... I am ready to claim my slice of white whale.

Regardless of what we are told and sold, I am constantly on the hunt for this coral. Do you have a weeping willow? Does it fit these criteria set? Of course I am a fan of all soft corals and toadstools... but one that eludes me is a REAL Weeping Willow!

Now lets hear from you.... have you seen this white whale?

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of my local hobbyist is selling weeping willow frags, they are beautiful but am curious to see if you consider them true weeping willows?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of my local hobbyist is selling weeping willow frags, they are beautiful but am curious to see if you consider them true weeping willows?
Apparently the difference is that when flow is turned off, the stalks literally fall over instead of staying upright.

weepingwilowleather.jpg

That should be easily demonstrable...

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the difference is that when flow is turned off, the stalks literally fall over instead of staying upright.

weepingwilowleather.jpg

Bingo! This is one of the main factors!

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drop pics in the thread!

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

weepingwilowleather.jpg

Youre in CO... go bug Jake for us

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one- 15 or 20 years ago. The notable feature was it had a tiny capitulum and a very long stalk, like the reefbuilders image. Jake isn't the only one to have had it.

Now I have the version from Penny at Aquacorals, and another referred to as "OG weeping willow." Both are really nice but not exactly right.

Broke2Broke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one- 15 or 20 years ago. The notable feature was it had a tiny capitulum and a very long stalk, like the reefbuilders image. Jake isn't the only one to have had it.

Now I have the version from Penny at Aquacorals, and another referred to as "OG weeping willow." Both are really nice but not exactly right.
How old is the one from Penny? Got any pics? I keep thinking about getting one from her.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is 6 months ago, at about 1 year old. It grows pretty fast, and I've cut a bunch of frags from it.
weeping willow.jpg
See this is a beautiful toadstool, but very similar to my long polyp and not quite a weeping willow per these specific requirements that supposedly make one

A nice one to say the least though!

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Aqua Coral‘s. I’ve had this over a year it’s growing a lot but the polyps haven’t and they claim that it is a true weeping willow which clearly it isn’t. Avoid that place. It’s white but has very short polyps.

Attachments

• FA16E6F4-70CF-4B3C-9AB3-A64E591E6965.jpeg
    FA16E6F4-70CF-4B3C-9AB3-A64E591E6965.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 585

marcelo10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine I purchased about 2 weeks agai they claim it was a Australian long polyp toadstool been wondering if it’s a reel one like you said earlier I been in the hunt for this guy for a while now

Attachments

• IMG_3128.MP4
    7.9 MB

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back