Who has aquarium related decorations around their house?

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll , very nice stuff. But I couldn't help but notice the Isle of Man logo on a glass behind the glass fish. Now I see you live in the UK, so it's a bit more local for you than for me. I was there in... wait for it... 1972 for the TT races! A friend and I bought Triumphs in London, went to the 2nd week of races, then visited Scotland and the south of England. We had the bikes shipped back to the USA and our roads are not NEARLY as smooth as yours. I sold mine the following spring and made enough profit on the bike to almost pay for the entire vacation! Other than going to Canada (I lived just across the Detroit River from Canada) that was my last time out of the US for nearly 15 years!

@Paul B , Elaine says thank you, but until she sells something or has a painting win an award, she will only paint ceilings with a roller and a long handle! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious But that's not really true, she painted the raised portion of the ceiling in our kitchen as blue sky with big white puffy clouds! :cool:

@Tompickles , that's putting death to good use. After I moved to Florida and started snorkeling, but before I started this hobby, I bought a couple of big coral heads. I love them, but I don't know if I'd buy them if I had it to do over again. Although they look good in the guest bathroom! ;)

20191205_102718_resized.jpg 20191205_102708_resized.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll , very nice stuff. But I couldn't help but notice the Isle of Man logo on a glass behind the glass fish. Now I see you live in the UK, so it's a bit more local for you than for me. I was there in... wait for it... 1972 for the TT races! A friend and I bought Triumphs in London, went to the 2nd week of races, then visited Scotland and the south of England. We had the bikes shipped back to the USA and our roads are not NEARLY as smooth as yours. I sold mine the following spring and made enough profit on the bike to almost pay for the entire vacation! Other than going to Canada (I lived just across the Detroit River from Canada) that was my last time out of the US for nearly 15 years!

@Paul B , Elaine says thank you, but until she sells something or has a painting win an award, she will only paint ceilings with a roller and a long handle! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious But that's not really true, she painted the raised portion of the ceiling in our kitchen as blue sky with big white puffy clouds! :cool:

@Tompickles , that's putting death to good use. After I moved to Florida and started snorkeling, but before I started this hobby, I bought a couple of big coral heads. I love them, but I don't know if I'd buy them if I had it to do over again. Although they look good in the guest bathroom! ;)

20191205_102718_resized.jpg 20191205_102708_resized.jpg

Hi Ron, yes indeed the IOM TT. I was most probably there in 72 in fact am not sure what year but certainly around then I roomed with a guy from the US in the YHA who had been to Nam, came over to Europe and the UK, bought a Bonnie and took it back to the US with him. I don't think it could have been you or your mate could it? It might have been a couple of years before 1969/70. I was also there in 78 when the late great Mike Hailwood made his TT comeback and win on a 750 Duke. Happy days. I was in the IOM last year for a few days but not for the TTs. I also used to go the Grand Prix there and had many a great holiday. I was there for the centenary among others. Am 70 in a couple of weeks but those were some of the happiest times of my life.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife says, "Thank you." She's very humble about her painting ability. But in January she is entering a couple in a show where they will get judged. And showing a few more that will be for sale. I have my fingers crossed. Up till now she hasn't entered any contests or even tried to sell anything. Here are a couple of her latest works.
20191205_102123_resized.jpg
20191205_102115_resized.jpg

That's a good start. My wifes first few painting from just a 3 years ago looked a lot like that. But 2 years of instruction at our local art league and 2 or 3 dozen paintings, and now 6 of them hang on the walls in our house... and I'm quite proud of her work.

Those are all cool, but I really love that 2nd one. That is a painting, right? It's scary cool!

@Paul B , you do such incredible sculptures! Personally I love steampunk style art and your fish are very cool (just like some of your other works). We have an artist, Howard Solomon, here in SW Florida that does a lot of similar work. I'd love to buy something but like you, his work is pricey! But it deserves to be as it's really great work!
Yeah....it is a painting......hangs above my now extinct piranha tank :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron, Thanks, but your wife is a Michaelangelo. I love her work.

I paint, but I am lousy at it. I wish I was better. :cool:
I admire people who can paint well.

Atoll, I think those first fish have ich. But I like them. :)

Certainly some sort of black spot. Hmmm you could be right, do you think I need to catch, QT them and dose them with copper and other such like?
I don't want to lose them to some nasty parasite.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are way too cool. I'd love to see what others you make. Do you sell them somwhere?

Most of them sold in a gallery in Manhattan and the rest will go to a gallery in the Hamptons on Long Island.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can never find things I like and that go with our house. But that is fantastic. Where'd you find it?

The stuff on the wall was found a local flea market. Don't know where the picture came from, wife bought it for me. Sorry not much help.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some in our guest bathroom:

6CB004B8-2863-4BE8-AD46-6726A816B9CA.jpeg

94DD1C5C-F86B-4555-B963-90D49F6FD259.jpeg

84B81EEF-6C02-4E59-9738-E2D1433BF5AC.jpeg

AD374E93-3E40-46C3-AC2D-902AA8E68FD1.jpeg

44DB24AD-B2B4-4CA9-BD15-A999B15CDDC2.jpeg

And some in our living room:

5E139FC5-FFD4-4A5F-8F68-E70178A9291D.jpeg

I like this candle:

D4FB6E55-03BE-41EF-A549-2F6BF3F32680.jpeg

And we have these air plant “jellyfish” hanging in our kitchen window:

6A0C52CD-4257-4AEC-8BAB-1098690B0F25.jpeg

FC1EB841-FAE8-4A60-98FD-8C44431846A8.jpeg

A6F5C832-01A9-424B-BFAA-F0E285C3C5AF.jpeg

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B , any chance you can pass along the names of the galleries (even if it's just a PM)? I'm seriously interested.

Hi Ron, yes indeed the IOM TT. I was most probably there in 72 in fact am not sure what year but certainly around then I roomed with a guy from the US in the YHA who had been to Nam, came over to Europe and the UK, bought a Bonnie and took it back to the US with him. I don't think it could have been you or your mate could it? It might have been a couple of years before 1969/70. I was also there in 78 when the late great Mike Hailwood made his TT comeback and win on a 750 Duke. Happy days. I was in the IOM last year for a few days but not for the TTs. I also used to go the Grand Prix there and had many a great holiday. I was there for the centenary among others. Am 70 in a couple of weeks but those were some of the happiest times of my life.

Your roommate wasn't us, we stayed in a B&B in Douglas. We had fun in Scotland when we arrived at a castle on Loch Lomond used as a B&B. It was raining cats & dogs and they were booked full. The owner took pity on us and offered us his caravan to sleep in. It was parked out behind the castle (with a view of the water!) and it was one of those extremely tiny 'hump back' units. He wouldn't accept money the next day. But we had his name and address so we took some cash home and mailed it to him when we got home!

Don, I absolutely love the painting of the fish! That's beautiful. And we used to see quite a few horseshoe crabs on the beach at Lovers Key State Park (just 10 miles south of us). But they don't seem to be doing as well as they were 15 years ago.

@SuncrestReef , are those air plants alive? We have a dozen or more types of air plants and maybe 50+ species of bromeliads in our yard. We've never seen them displayed like that. That's very cool!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B , any chance you can pass along the names of the galleries (even if it's just a PM)? I'm seriously interested.

Ron, the first 14 pieces sold in a gallery in uptown Manhattan about 54th street called "An American Craftsman Gallery"

He wants more but he moved to Lennox Mass and I don't get there so they will be shown somewhere out east here in The Hamptons Long Island NY. I don't know exactly where they will be shown but I am going to the gallery now who is supposed to exhibit them somewhere.

I don't want to sell any until after they are shown because I want to get my name out there like Michaelangelo so the stuff can sell for more and I can get commissioned :p

I have to build 5 more pieces.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back