Who has or had Tangs in 4 foot tanks?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55, my fairy wrasses seemed to disapear, no carpet surfing dont know where they went and may never see them again. but if so i may replace with a tomini tang. ive watched numerous different ones. for a tang they seem less active by far. my chromis and clowns fly around faster and cover more room. i do plan to upgrade within next couple years as ill have my own place and working as an accountant so funds will enable.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang in a 50 gallon for 3 years, then the person i sold the setup to had him in it for another 3 years before transferring it to a 100 gallon he was happy as ever in both tanks!

fener103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 120 I have three tangs: Tomini, Yellow Eye Kole and a Yellow Tang. The Tomini is prolly 6 inches while the Kole and Yellow are around 4 inches a piece

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 that is 4 feet long. I have a Kole and a Powder Blue. The Kole is 6 years old and the blue is two years old.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 4" Red Sea Sailfin Tang in the 4 foot frag tank for 21 months. He seemed to be doing fine until one day I noticed him sitting on the bottom. That night he was laying down. I knew he wouldn't make it through the night so I took him out. I've had about the same thing occur in 6 foot tanks.

I currently have a 5" Pacific Sailfin in a 4 foot 120 that has been there since May 09 and he has almost doubled in size. I added a 2" Powder Blue in Feb of this year and he's now almost an inch longer. The PB wants to be a bully but I think that would happen in an 8 foot tank.

I've had tangs come and go for as long as I've been keeping reefs. Some last years and some last weeks. Why do they die? I don't know but I don't think tank size has anything to do with it.

You hear the argument that tangs swim for miles a day in the ocean so don't put them in a 4 foot tank, they need at least 6 feet. I've got news for those people. If I'm used to moving miles a day and you put me in a 4 foot box, I'm not going to feel any better if you give me 2 more feet.

I think this is about as ridiculous as the idea that Clowns need an anemone. I've got 7 Clowns and zero anemones. I've had one of the clowns since '99 and she's never seen an anemone as long as I've had her and she spawns every 2 - 3 weeks.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your general thoughts on having Tangs in 4 foot tanks? Basically 90 gallons or 120's? Does it depend on the tang? The size when you put them in? etc.

Just trying to get a feel for how folks look at it.

This is a weird question because you're unlike to hear from many of the people who've lost fish. Even fewer who've crashed tanks. Surely you will hear loud and clear from those perpetrating stunt - er, keeping tangs in 4' tanks.

If you must, please only consider adding a single tang to the tank - not more than one. Also, please only consider the Bristletooth family. They are detritavores so far more suited to tank life dietetically speaking. Further, by contrast to most Tangs, they are often found living as solitary individuals - this also makes them better suited to tank life. Lastly, most of them stay on the smaller side compared with many tangs.

If there's no way for you to upgrade to at least a 125g, I would save Tangs for the next tank.

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they die? I don't know but I don't think tank size has anything to do with it.

You hear the argument that tangs swim for miles a day in the ocean so don't put them in a 4 foot tank, they need at least 6 feet. I've got news for those people. If I'm used to moving miles a day and you put me in a 4 foot box, I'm not going to feel any better if you give me 2 more feet..

(emphasis mine)

Harry, you DO know why they die...at least your gut knows...you said it yourself above. 6' is minutely better than 4' - only a minimum - neither are very adequate depending on what tang we're talking about. (And this isn't news for "those people"...they already know.)

And, yes, this is one of the big reasons Tangs commonly have such poor health and die early. (If they were at least farmed animals it wouldn't be such a tragedy.) Apply this logic to any other animal (human, especially) and I think it becomes very clear. E.g. If you were placed in an 8' cube and never allowed out, deprived of all the socialization that matters, always breathing more poluted air, never getting the foods you really need, and not being fed often enough, it's unlikely you would do well either. Stress and malnutrition would ultimate take their toll.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(emphasis mine)

Harry, you DO know why they die...at least your gut knows...you said it yourself above. 6' is minutely better than 4' - only a minimum - neither are very adequate depending on what tang we're talking about. (And this isn't news for "those people"...they already know.)

And, yes, this is one of the big reasons Tangs commonly have such poor health and die early. (If they were at least farmed animals it wouldn't be such a tragedy.) Apply this logic to any other animal (human, especially) and I think it becomes very clear. E.g. If you were placed in an 8' cube and never allowed out, deprived of all the socialization that matters, always breathing more poluted air, never getting the foods you really need, and not being fed often enough, it's unlikely you would do well either. Stress and malnutrition would ultimate take their toll.

-Matt

I don't see how this arguement would not apply to all fish except for those few that are aquarium bred. And even then, do we really supply all their nutritional and social needs?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I thought the question was keeping tangs in a 4 foot tank as opposed to a 6 foot tank. That is the title of the thread. I didn't realize we were talking about keeping them at all.

You folks north of the border don't want to get us rednecks started on Christmas eve. I'm about to start taking my evening medication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion can go all over the place. I was just trying to see how many folks have or had kept tangs in 4 foot tanks and what their thoughts/experience was. I know some folks that said they didnt even like to keep a naso in a 6 foot 180.

I think this whole tang thing is taken way too overboard. Just like you said Harry, 2 feet more isnt going to suddenly make all the difference as to whether the tang is going to be healthy or not.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big yellow tang I had in my tank started out in a 46 gal bowfront which is 36" long then lived in my 75 for a year or so before I went to the big tank. When I broke that tank down and sold the fish, I had it for 6 years. It didn't show any signs of stress in either if the tanks I kept it in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion can go all over the place. I was just trying to see how many folks have or had kept tangs in 4 foot tanks and what their thoughts/experience was. I know some folks that said they didnt even like to keep a naso in a 6 foot 180.

I think this whole tang thing is taken way too overboard. Just like you said Harry, 2 feet more isnt going to suddenly make all the difference as to whether the tang is going to be healthy or not.

Indeed. While people do keep them alive, without ich, and not fighting, that doesn't change the reality that most tangs are not suited to captivity by their nature. (Just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should".)

To those who've kept tangs alive for ~5 years...what's the potential for a fish like that if kept in a more ideal environment? 15 years? 20? More? I'd like to hear from a few people who've been in that situation - especially with a 4' tank.

And tell me (speaking to anyone here) what kinds of stress symptoms can you see in a Tang that don't involve an already-sick fish - it's not like they can complain to us! ;-) Reef fish in general are much more suitable to the tiny environment of an aquarium, as that may not be too dissimilar to what they'd be able to carve out in a real reef.

I'm not sure why it seems unreasonable to some that a fish which is designed for distance cruising and has quite specialized diet and social needs would be at least slightly inappropriate for most home fish tank settings.

FWIW, Bristletooth species are much more adaptable both in terms of diet and social needs compared with most other Tangs. This is two large stressors that are reduced or gone vs other Tangs. Worth considering, IMO. :)

-Matt

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Some body called the cops. Better run, I got warrants!

gemydagy.jpg

slayeroftheshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, since it's Christmas and a few folks have been over to get things and seen my tanks, I'll tell on myself.
I have 7 (yes I said seven:jaw:) tangs in a 75g right now. They came from a 120 (also 4 ft) and most have been in there since "wee little things." They are going back to their 120, but honestly, they are happy as can be. Temperament is great, eating VERY well and "active" would be an accurate description. Folks who've seen them are amazed as the pecking order is established and the fish don't seem to notice anything else but food. Over skimming is proper skimming in this tank.

The smallest of the tangs is about 4", largest about 7" and no losses, fights or ich. Now, that being said, it's still not ideal for me, since I want them to have more room. A 320-365 await next October, but until then, 120 with a total of 9 (yes nine when tanks are combined) :jaw:are home...for now...

And to answer any questions in advance, yes, I'm a little crazy, but so are my fish, so we make a good fit :tongue:

My credentials for the above (as if they matter to most):
25 years of fish-keeping breeding
7 years as a master diver/instructor
1 crazy ex-wife (much more to that)
1 little boy that thinks he father is a hero for pulling this off

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, since it's Christmas and a few folks have been over to get things and seen my tanks, I'll tell on myself.
I have 7 (yes I said seven:jaw:) tangs in a 75g right now. They came from a 120 (also 4 ft) and most have been in there since "wee little things." They are going back to their 120, but honestly, they are happy as can be. Temperament is great, eating VERY well and "active" would be an accurate description. Folks who've seen them are amazed as the pecking order is established and the fish don't seem to notice anything else but food. Over skimming is proper skimming in this tank.

The smallest of the tangs is about 4", largest about 7" and no losses, fights or ich. Now, that being said, it's still not ideal for me, since I want them to have more room. A 320-365 await next October, but until then, 120 with a total of 9 (yes nine when tanks are combined) :jaw:are home...for now...

And to answer any questions in advance, yes, I'm a little crazy, but so are my fish, so we make a good fit :tongue:

My credentials for the above (as if they matter to most):
25 years of fish-keeping breeding
7 years as a master diver/instructor
1 crazy ex-wife (much more to that)
1 little boy that thinks he father is a hero for pulling this off

I can tell ya that I seen his tank in person and those tang are healthy and great looking. I dont know how he does it but he does lok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back