Who has the best bristleworm trap?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanleo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
1,931
Location
Statesville, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a trap out of a tupperware bowl with a lid last night. I tied a seashell stuffed with dried plankton for bait to the bottom so it wouldn't move and wedged the whole thing in the sand. There are small holes around the bottom and in the lid. In 5 hours I caught 15 worms, 4 of them were quite large. I don't want to get rid of them entirely but just cull the herd because they are getting a little too numerous and several are huge.

Mine worked fairly well but the problem with it is they can get out as easily as they can get it so I have to take it out every couple hours and empty it. I am wondering if anyone has anything better.
 
I have heard pretty good success with this method. You will need a good sized "chunk" of shrimp and a pair (really the foot part of) panty hose. Take the shrimp and tie it into the "foot" of the panty hose, put this in right when the lights go out. The bristle worms will go after the shrimp and their bristles get stuck in the panty hose. In the morning remove the shrimp/panty hose along with the bristle worms tangled in it. There's a thread around where someone caught 100+ in a night.
 
I put a plastic pepsi bottle with two hoses drilled into it. The hoses buried in the sand worms go in and can't get back out. I caught like 15 the first night I tried it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new