Who has the best frozen food?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the best food between LRS, rods food, San Francisco Bay, and piscine?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer Hikari. To me it's cleaner than any other brands I've tried. Seems fresher and never smelly. Usually priced better as well. I switch between the mysis,brine, squid, and mega marine packs. Never any leftovers and pieces my tank won't eat. I've had that issue with some other brands.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has the best food between LRS, rods food, San Francisco Bay, and piscine?
Nutritionally speaking, between those four, I’d put them in the order you have them. LRS and Rod’s have similar, high-quality ingredients, but LRS has a higher protein content while Rod’s has higher fat (~59% protein and ~13% fat for LRS Reef Frenzy, ~53% protein and ~15% fat for Rod’s Original). For both SFBB and PE, they’re great as supplemental foods, but I personally wouldn’t recommend them as a primary/main food (in part because they lack a good variety of ingredients which could potentially result in nutrition deficiencies, and in part because things like mysis - while great on protein - are low on fat, and you need a sufficient amount of fat for the fish to be healthy enough to do things like breed and lay healthy eggs).

That said, LRS and/or Hikari’s Mega Marine lines would be my top choices personally, followed closely by Rod’s. From what I’ve seen, for the best health in fish, you want a variety of good ingredients, high protein (50%+ minimum by dry weight, preferably closer to 60%+), and a moderate amount of fat (10-15% by dry weight, preferably closer to 13 or 14%).

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are all good for all different foods. Love reef nutrition pellets, hikari mysis, aquarium co-op brine shrimp eggs, reef nutrition live phyto, reef roids, rods was good, I think it really depends on your tank which is gonna be the best choice for you

Upvote 0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fat boy is on Hikari and reef nutrition pellets.
IMG_20230226_115156076_MP.jpg

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back