Who here actually enjoys doing water changes?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't enjoy them, but I don't dread them either since I have everything plumbed to my basement. Flip a couple valves hit a couple smart switches on my phone and never have to leave the front of my tanks! Not completely automated (Only because I don't trust it :))
#goals

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 25 gallon water changes every other week and I'm just sitting here looking at my tank thinking I really want to do another water change even though it's not till next weekend, ha. I've gotten it down to where I can do a 25 gallon water change in under 15 minutes. So anyone else here like doing water changes?
Eh. I don’t like doing dishes. And I don’t really care for water changes

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't enjoy them, but I don't dread them either since I have everything plumbed to my basement. Flip a couple valves hit a couple smart switches on my phone and never have to leave the front of my tanks! Not completely automated (Only because I don't trust it :))
The bidet of water changes.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like doing them. I like interacting with my reefs. My corals and fish are healthy not because I simply turn on lights and plug in a skimmer but rather because I take care of them.

I do like weekly inspecting my corals without any flow as well which is done just prior to water change.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind a 4g wc every week, it’s closer inspection time.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10 gallon water changes and I use my water change water plus 1 gallon vinegar for weed killer works great and I save money water changes make me happy

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do them. 10% per week = 60 gallons = pumped into 2 brutes in back of pickup. Dumped on gravel road for dust control. Better than dusting off pictures and stuff in the house

OP
OP
ImNemo

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10 gallon water changes and I use my water change water plus 1 gallon vinegar for weed killer works great and I save money water changes make me happy

Oh nice idea, My backyard is fenced in and I hate weed eating both sides of the fence and also around the pool.

20180611_054628.jpg

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind I drilled two bulkheads in the tank just for water changes , flip a couple of valves for drain and fill 30 gallon WC in ten min .

Sweetaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy it because I use water change time to move things, spot clean etc. I try to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. So when water change time comes its like I get to scratch an itch.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 1% a day using automation. I do 10% a month manually. I've been doing water changes for quite some time. Thus, I'm pretty good on the amount of salt to get 1.025 salinity. I also can make adjustments fairly easily. Draining and pumping new water in is a one man job - easy! I replace and wash all MP40 filter covers and clean the skimmer cup. It's worth it.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason I hate cleaning the glass. I’d rather change water then clean glass, even though it doesn’t take as long. That’s probably the one thing I despise. I’m thinking about making that one of the kids chores. So when they grow up and automatic glass cleaners exist they can complain to their kids that they had to do it by hand.

And anyone that says they actually enjoy it probably hasn’t been doing it long enough. (‘02 salt water and freshwater for probably 12 years before that)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind it and do biweekly WC's on my two tanks. The 75g I use the Python siphon system since it's near the laundry room and takes me 20 minutes start to finnish. For the 20g anemone tank that's in my workshop I just use a 5g bucket. I have a TV in there and I do WC's on Sunday so I throw on Redzone and watch while doing the WC.
I don't mind WC's because this is the time I blast the rocks with a baster to get the crud out and kill any Aptasia that I find and just fix anything that needs to be worked on inside the tank.

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran my 125g I use to change 30g once a week I just mixed salt in a brute trash can next to the tank. Pumped out then pumped in. Did that for 1 year and my wife told me I wasted to much money on salt. I have had my 180g up and running for a year and a half and I have not done 1 water change since it started.

rudyrizzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 25 gallon water changes every other week and I'm just sitting here looking at my tank thinking I really want to do another water change even though it's not till next weekend, ha. I've gotten it down to where I can do a 25 gallon water change in under 15 minutes. So anyone else here like doing water changes?

Its actually relaxing after a day of work.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I even do water changes for a fresh water buddy when he is out of town (no salinity checks so it’s pretty easy, plus his fish are amazing and different than what I’m used too) no fish or coral has ever thanked me, but I feel like they appreciate it with their reactions..... it’s like the feeling you get when your bedroom is clean... idk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back