Who is a “Reefer”?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a fun thought for discussion.

Who is a Reefer, as it pertains to reef aquariums, in your opinion?

Is it someone who both owns a reef tank and maintains it? Or what about those that maintain tanks, but don’t own one? Do you have to do the maintenance to be a Reefer, or just own the tank?

Obviously more than one right answer here, just looking for your perspective. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it someone who both owns a reef tank and maintains it? Or what about those that maintain tanks, but don’t own one? Do you have to do the maintenance to be a Reefer, or just own the tank?

Obviously more than one right answer here, just looking for your perspective. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
In my opinion you are! Someone with a passion. If someone has one set up in their lobby, has someone else stock and maintain it then no. They have a reef tank but aren’t a reefer. If they had the passion they would have done it all.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to spot if you know where to look. Lots of them are on this forum posting questions about their parameters, their algae, diatoms, and hitchhikers, and will often engage in vigorous debates about their favorite or go to technologies, from lights (LED vs. Halide vs T-5) to hydrometers. If you park outside of a supermarket you will not be able to figure out who's who, but if you park outside the local fish or pet store they can be spotted fairly quickly by folks who are familiar with their habits.

The Reefer may spend a couple of hours looking around a fish/coral store but will usually be in and out of Petco unless that's the only saltwater supplier in the area. Reefers approach to the store is with enthusiam and excitement as they hope to see something new and hopefully cheap or affordable inside. Once inside, the price doesn't really mean anything if they find something they need. The only concern then is if they have enough cash or credit to score what they have found. When cash is low they may sit out front with a cardboard sigh asking for help but generally they leave the area and find a busy street corner where they don their homeless attire and shuffle around the innersection with the cardboard sign claiming to be WW3 vets, need money for rent or food for their children since they were layed off, or evicted, or on the road to their mothers funeral and need cash for gas.

As they leave a proper reef store they always come out with something in a bag and excitement in their eyes as they rush home to drop the new item into their reef tank.

The other way to spot them is to search "parameters" or, "dosing", or even "the" in the search engine on here and the links will take you to them. They are good people with a serious challenge that some people might call a habit or obsession but they are just Reefer's really.

If you want to engage them in discussion ask them what lights they use, or what parameters they keep and you may be stuck for hours while they latch onto you to discuss reefing.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to spot if you know where to look. Lots of them are on this forum posting questions about their parameters, their algae, diatoms, and hitchhikers, and will often engage in vigorous debates about their favorite or go to technologies, from lights (LED vs. Halide vs T-5) to hydrometers. If you park outside of a supermarket you will not be able to figure out who's who, but if you park outside the local fish or pet store they can be spotted fairly quickly by folks who are familiar with their habits.

The Reefer may spend a couple of hours looking around a fish/coral store but will usually be in and out of Petco unless that's the only saltwater supplier in the area. Reefers approach to the store is with enthusiam and excitement as they hope to see something new and hopefully cheap or affordable inside. Once inside, the price doesn't really mean anything if they find something they need. The only concern then is if they have enough cash or credit to score what they have found. When cash is low they may sit out front with a cardboard sigh asking for help but generally they leave the area and find a busy street corner where they don their homeless attire and shuffle around the innersection with the cardboard sign claiming to be WW3 vets, need money for rent or food for their children since they were layed off, or evicted, or on the road to their mothers funeral and need cash for gas.

As they leave a proper reef store they always come out with something in a bag and excitement in their eyes as they rush home to drop the new item into their reef tank.

The other way to spot them is to search "parameters" or, "dosing", or even "the" in the search engine on here and the links will take you to them. They are good people with a serious challenge that some people might call a habit or obsession but they are just Reefer's really.

If you want to engage them in discussion ask them what lights they use, or what parameters they keep and you may be stuck for hours while they latch onto you to discuss reefing.
You win r2r today.

Mods you can lock the thread now, we have an answer.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef has to be alive in your heart and mind at the same time. No matter how much experience and knowledge you have. No matter how many tanks or gallons or fancy equipment you own. No matter if you have a 1 year old “Circus” tank full of Bounce Torches, Rainbow Xenia, or Holy Grail Who Cares? Hot **** frags from Hot **** Corals. The title of “Reefer” is earned by showing a responsibility and commitment to the proper husbandry of the living creatures that you hold in your possession. A Reefer doesn’t just have knowledge and capabilities, they have humility and patience. A Reefer isn’t a degree you earn for life either. Some of the best end up in situations where they can’t keep a reef tank. Your dang money doesn’t make you a Reefer, in fact I think it’s a major problem today and for the future or the hobby that’s gotten almost too easy now. 20 years ago, you were awesome if you could color up a brown Acro. 10 years ago it was impressive if you could keep a Goniopora alive for 6 months. A Reefer only exists while the natural reef itself is alive and cared for in your heart and your mind.

Last edited:

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll speak for myself. I'm a lifelong reefer. I started at 12 years old and started working at my lfs at 14. I'm 38 now. I always had tanks and spent years working in lfs on and off for years. At 28 sold everything I owned and moved to Hawaii to study marine science and aquaculture. Then I met a girl and didn't want to leave. So I got married and settled in and scratched the itch by volunteering at at Waikiki aquarium as an educator. Then we couldn't afford to live there anymore so we moved to south carolina because I have family here and I took a job at the post office. My wife bought me a tank for my birthday last year because she knew how much I missed it and quickly fell in love. Now she has her own tank too.

My point is: to me being a reefer isn't a want or a hobby, it's a need. I NEED the ocean in my life. I fish, I treasure hunt, I have tanks. I made sure I moved to the beach. Over the years I've realized, having tanks is super important to my mental health. I'm fortunate to have a wife that gets it too. Reefers NEED this in our lives, not just want it.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reefer is one who is obsessed with their reef.. 1 who will trash their house and leave it in shambles for weeks at a time to resolve a "emergency". I personally have my tank qualified and accepted as a child(dependent) at work, its health is seen with equivalence to the next guys kid in the hospital. Sorry guys, I gotta take care of this. Too far gone to think about money, only option left is to double down..

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I may be the minority opinion but I feel it's someone who does the work and keeps everything working. Having a tank in your house and not knowing much about it, doesn't make you a reefer in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol, brilliant summary.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is: to me being a reefer isn't a want or a hobby, it's a need. I NEED the ocean in my life. I fish, I treasure hunt, I have tanks. I made sure I moved to the beach. Over the years I've realized, having tanks is super important to my mental health. I'm fortunate to have a wife that gets it too. Reefers NEED this in our lives, not just want it.
I couldn't agree more! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Here's my story...

Thread 'My Reefing Journey' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-reefing-journey.1010492/

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it and compared the word to other « er » ending words that are hobbies.

« Skater », « moutain climber », « painter » are good examples. They all have in common an action component. You need to be physically doing something to be one. You can’t be a painter if you don’t paint.

So based on that, for me a reefer is someone who works on their « reef ». That means feeding, dosing, maintaining, adding elements to it, etc. At least part of it, if not all.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are we smoking?

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I messed up my "who is a" for "who has the"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back