Who is a “Reefer”?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easy to spot if you know where to look. Lots of them are on this forum posting questions about their parameters, their algae, diatoms, and hitchhikers, and will often engage in vigorous debates about their favorite or go to technologies, from lights (LED vs. Halide vs T-5) to hydrometers. If you park outside of a supermarket you will not be able to figure out who's who, but if you park outside the local fish or pet store they can be spotted fairly quickly by folks who are familiar with their habits.

The Reefer may spend a couple of hours looking around a fish/coral store but will usually be in and out of Petco unless that's the only saltwater supplier in the area. Reefers approach to the store is with enthusiam and excitement as they hope to see something new and hopefully cheap or affordable inside. Once inside, the price doesn't really mean anything if they find something they need. The only concern then is if they have enough cash or credit to score what they have found. When cash is low they may sit out front with a cardboard sigh asking for help but generally they leave the area and find a busy street corner where they don their homeless attire and shuffle around the innersection with the cardboard sign claiming to be WW3 vets, need money for rent or food for their children since they were layed off, or evicted, or on the road to their mothers funeral and need cash for gas.

As they leave a proper reef store they always come out with something in a bag and excitement in their eyes as they rush home to drop the new item into their reef tank.

The other way to spot them is to search "parameters" or, "dosing", or even "the" in the search engine on here and the links will take you to them. They are good people with a serious challenge that some people might call a habit or obsession but they are just Reefer's really.

If you want to engage them in discussion ask them what lights they use, or what parameters they keep and you may be stuck for hours while they latch onto you to discuss reefing.
The one of the best post I've seen in a long time. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back