Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the warm welcome to the R2R forum. Since we're new here I wanted to give y'all a bit of a background on who we are and what we do.

We breed fish and aquaculture corals and clams. We have 4 facilities around the world: Palau, Hawaii, North Carolina, and Florida. The first 3 are our breeding facilities while Florida is our grow-out, quarantine, and distribution center (with some coral aquaculture thrown in).

Team-Photo-from-Tom.jpg

Our goals have always been to innovate aquaculture techniques and culture new species to help with conservation and education of our oceans. This is why we not only produce fish for the aquarium trade but also key food species to restock the Palauan waters with every purchase made with Biota (below are a few Palauan students helping us out with our rabbitfish release).

107598446_2783826995180486_597859449591868685_o.jpg

We love aquariums and what they can teach people about the oceans and hope to create a more sustainable and successful hobby through our efforts. We just launched our own online retail site but for the past 5 years you've been able to purchase our livestock from a few select websites and over 200 LFS around the United States!

Jake-Tanks.jpg

Some of my personal favorite species we've had success with have been the blotched anthias, aurora anthias, yellow tang, tons of different trimma gobies (they're all adorable), mandarins, coral beauties, and seal's cardinalfish. But we're always working on new species and have had success with a ton more we haven't even announced yet. So shoot us over any questions you might have and share some photos of some of the Biota live stock in your aquariums. It's the most amazing phenomenon to see where all of our hard work ends up around the world. Also check out our 100% Biota cultured office tank

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there more info on how you quarantine your fish?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know ya! I can’t see the video though. I think maybe it’s because of my iPhone. Do you have a YouTube link for the video?
Because of the iPhone doesn’t recognize embedded video format. I’ve been trying to figure out a workaround for that. Might need to create an R2R app;). @revhtree commission me!!! Or YouTube uploads work:)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine so glad you all joined the R2R community!
R2R friends, If you aren’t familiar their site has a lot of great information in addition to all the good work they do to keep our oceans, corals and fish sustained :).

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there more info on how you quarantine your fish?
Of course, the way we quarantine and condition our animals is pretty simple. Each one of our facilities has dedicated receiving/grow-out and holding/salable systems so there isn't any mixing from facilities. Each system has giant UVs so water between tanks is treated for pelagic pathogens to prevent spread within the system. Each system has dedicated equipment which is sterilized between every use.

There's a minimum 20-30 day monitoring period in which our team of marine biologists inspects, skin scrape, gill clip, ect. to check out under the scope so see if anything external could have come in or develop (mostly just checking for the common stuff). Each tank can be run independently so if treatment is necessary or warranted that tank is shut off from the system and treated so we don't have to unnecessarily stress out other populations. If further treatment is necessary or we suspect something internal we send off samples regularly to diagnostics labs to receive an analysis and bacterial cultures (which falls into that monitoring period).

With that in mind our breeding facilities are fairly intricate labs who have their own sterilization protocols to keep everything running smoothly from broodstock to breeding and shipping. So it isn't often something breaks out among their facilities and that trickles down to being less likely at the Florida distribution facility. That being said I still think it is good practice for every hobbyist to quarantine their live stock from every vendor regardless of QT protocols because sometimes life finds a way.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about shipping method on your site twice a few weeks ago but didn't get and answer. I was wondering what carrier you use to ship fish?. I assume it's overnight.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back