Who is using crossflow gyre type powerheads? Which one do you like best?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running Nero 5 for about a year and a half, I now need to clean it once a quarter or so, or it would become noise and push a lot less flow. Basically the same level of maintenance needed when I had the maxspect gyre. I don't believe any pump is maintenance free.
So you clean it once every 3 months....I consider that maintenance free. My gyre was a pain in the butt but thats my experience. No way I could just let that gyre run like I do the Nero.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One(1) Jebao SCP-150 in each of two 90-gal tanks - provide all the flow needed at levels 2-3 of five. One is oriented vertically, in the other tank it's oriented horizontally to reduce sand movement (that's the Goby's job).

I have two IceCap-4k oriented vertically in the new 215-gal. Not yet operational, chose the IceCap for the Hydros Control feature.

The Jebao SCP-150 has performed extremely well so far. Blows chunks of food or torn-away Nori without issue. I recently cleaned them for the first time in six months using a paint brush and some vinegar water with no disassembly. Great pump for the money.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap 4k gyres. I bought an extra set of cages and props for each one and change them out every 2 weeks. I like the huge sheets if water they move. I think to replicate the movement they give I'd have to have 2 PH on each end totalling 4 for the same result. Placing them at top of tank also keeps the tank looking cleaner.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you clean it once every 3 months....I consider that maintenance free. My gyre was a pain in the butt but thats my experience. No way I could just let that gyre run like I do the Nero.

It's more of an expectation settings. For both pump, I ran them for the first year without cleaning at all. Both were fine. I let the gyre run for long without cleaning and eventually ruined it. Now I know better I should clean it more regularly. But if I run the Nero 5 for 3 years without major cleaning like I did to the gyre, I think it will die on me just the same. I just won't go that far now because I know better.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed 2 Gyre 350s in my 225 and I have them set to Random mode and the 2nd on reverse time delay. I get some great and crazy water movement.

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 IceCap 4Ks on my standard 120, one on either side. I really like them.

Anecdotally, I am able to get more overall water movement in my tank, with my sand bed staying in tact, than with anything else. Both LPS and SPS are happy.
What orientation do you have them? I have one bought and have dreaded putting it in my tank for the last 6 weeks because of the app and not sure on orientation

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are those? Gonna get one of those for my new tank. Seems solid. Is it quiet and are the different adjustments very good and precise? Lots of flow?
I love them! Very quiet and adjustability is great (IMO). TONS of flow with the 45's in my 100g. I have them programmed to run them around 70% forward and then 100% in reverse for about an hour in the evening to keep the bare bottom clean.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
100% in
I love them! Very quiet and adjustability is great (IMO). TONS of flow with the 45's in my 100g. I have them programmed to run them around 70% forward and then 100% in reverse for about an hour in the evening to keep the bare bottom clean.
100% in reverse? Nice

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One(1) Jebao SCP-150 in each of two 90-gal tanks - provide all the flow needed at levels 2-3 of five. One is oriented vertically, in the other tank it's oriented horizontally to reduce sand movement (that's the Goby's job).

I have two IceCap-4k oriented vertically in the new 215-gal. Not yet operational, chose the IceCap for the Hydros Control feature.

The Jebao SCP-150 has performed extremely well so far. Blows chunks of food or torn-away Nori without issue. I recently cleaned them for the first time in six months using a paint brush and some vinegar water with no disassembly. Great pump for the money.
Would a Scp-120/120m be good on a 60g standard placed vertically?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
2 Gyre 350xf in my 150 Gallon on Alternating mode.

blows SPS hard on 100%. Only downside is they need cleaning once a month to perform great

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back