Who keeps less common anthias?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what less common anthias yall have kept. How many? How'd it go?

I kept a group of P. Dispar in my last tank for years. I'd like another group and am considering something different. N. Carberryi, P. Lori, P. Flavoguttatus, P. Smithvanizi, P. Pulcherrimus. I'm not sure yet

Anyone have experience with these?

cburto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow anthias and one Sakura anthias . Super active and beautiful

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have:
Lyretail
Ignitus
bartlett
Carberryi
Bimaculatus

cburto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaiian Yellow Anthias (Odontanthias fuscipinnis)

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
Lyretail
Ignitus
bartlett
Carberryi
Bimaculatus

Love to hear your thoughts on Carberryi. I had one Ignitus in with my Dispar group, I could hardly tell the difference. (Ignitus was slightly more orange)

Do the Carberryi stay in the water column as much as Ignitus? Eat as readily? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Love to hear your thoughts on Carberryi. I had one Ignitus in with my Dispar group, I could hardly tell the difference. (Ignitus was slightly more orange)

Do the Carberryi stay in the water column as much as Ignitus? Eat as readily? Thanks
Mine favors upper part of tank and very skiddish. Comes out always at feeding

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see your Ignitus at all? Really want to add them. My Hawkfish is bully and worry tyat he might be too harsh to them.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see your Ignitus at all? Really want to add them. My Hawkfish is bully and worry tyat he might be too harsh to them.

Can't speak for Vetteguy, but my Ignitus was always out front and center. I remember at the time some debate on whether Dispar and Ignitus were actually separate species or something. Mine all grouped together and were almost impossible to tell apart.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 of these Lyretail Anthais, bright orange with purpleish eyes, one changed to male, and is now red and purple hues.
Always been happy with this species, hardy.
5D8A42CC-66A8-4BB6-8E09-6252F641BC7B.jpeg

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have kept P. dispar, P. tuka, P. pleurotaenia, P. hutchii, P. squamipinnis, P. bimaculatus, P. bartelletorum, P. hypselosoma, P. pictilis, and S. latus. They all form hierarchy's, some change sex extremely fast, some are tolerant and some aren't. I generally recommend just sticking with plain old lyre tails, as they still look nice, can be kept in groups in medium/large sized aquariums and adapt to most foods. A lot of the odd ball anthias require live naups multiple times a day. People talk about purple queens being difficult to keep, and I think they are one of the easiest. I introduced a group of 20 or so 6 or 7 years ago, and they are still thriving, but you have to have bbs for them to feed on.

morrissey01-02.jpg

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have kept P. dispar, P. tuka, P. pleurotaenia, P. hutchii, P. squamipinnis, P. bimaculatus, P. bartelletorum, P. hypselosoma, P. pictilis, and S. latus. They all form hierarchy's, some change sex extremely fast, some are tolerant and some aren't. I generally recommend just sticking with plain old lyre tails, as they still look nice, can be kept in groups in medium/large sized aquariums and adapt to most foods. A lot of the odd ball anthias require live naups multiple times a day. People talk about purple queens being difficult to keep, and I think they are one of the easiest. I introduced a group of 20 or so 6 or 7 years ago, and they are still thriving, but you have to have bbs for them to feed on.

morrissey01-02.jpg

That may be the best tank I've seen on all these forums in 15+ years, incredible group of fish.

I'm not interested in lyretails, but I may settle for P. Dispar again. They were easy to keep, peaceful and ate everything.

Edit: also, keeping P. Tuka long term is almost unheard of. Incredible

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely following along as I try to plan what anthias I want to add to my peninsula. It will be 72*36*22 and I'd like to add 8-10. Dispar have been at the top of my list

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be the best tank I've seen on all these forums in 15+ years, incredible group of fish.

I'm not interested in lyretails, but I may settle for P. Dispar again. They were easy to keep, peaceful and ate everything.

Edit: also, keeping P. Tuka long term is almost unheard of. Incredible

Dispars are a great choice as well, very similar in care and behavior.

This was an exhibit I renovated/stocked in my public aquarium days, and I am no longer in the field. Reefbuilders did an article on the tank after I left, if you want to see more of it. Some really nice fish. Totally forgot, there were P. pascalas in with the tukas. Talk about stunners

pseudanthias-pascalus-3-620x398.png

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow gorgeous!

I spoke with my LFS, they can get P. Lori, P. Pulcherrimus, and N. Carberryi

Seems like the Lori are from deeper water and will probably hide more. I am considering the Pulcherrimus

Hydrahawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys quarantine the Anthias? I have Dispars and when I get them, 1 out of 3 won’t eat. I use calanis as their fist food. What do you guys feed your Anthias when you bring them home?

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack.

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a queen/purple anthias that did very well for 6 months then it just stopped eating and dropped dead. Gorgeous fish.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys quarantine the Anthias? I have Dispars and when I get them, 1 out of 3 won’t eat. I use calanis as their fist food. What do you guys feed your Anthias when you bring them home?

Yes, everything gets QTd. For anthias it would depend on species, but usually 48 hr naups, adult live brine, cyclopeeze/calanus, fish eggs, LRS reef foods, and PE mysis. A lot will move to pellets if they can take mysis. Anthias snick all day at microfauna in suspension. I've had 6" tukas and they just constantly snap all day at naups and cyclopeeze. They wont recognize mysis as food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back