Who keeps multiple tangs?

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown tang basically killed everything I've added since it hit juvenile stage... I lost 4 different types since I added it in November. It also stresses my foxface out, I want to catch it but it's too big for my refugium I wouldn't feel right putting it there, also my LFS doesn't give store credit or anything. So I'm just waiting for it to not bully or my foxface to spine it.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown tang basically killed everything I've added since it hit juvenile stage... I lost 4 different types since I added it in November. It also stresses my foxface out, I want to catch it but it's too big for my refugium I wouldn't feel right putting it there, also my LFS doesn't give store credit or anything. So I'm just waiting for it to not bully or my foxface to spine it.
I have a clown tang that is definitely the boss, but since I have a foxface and five other tangs, the aggression is spread around and no one seems worse for the wear.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown tang that is definitely the boss, but since I have a foxface and five other tangs, the aggression is spread around and no one seems worse for the wear.
Yeah I need to just save up and get 5 tangs and add them at the same time so the aggression goes away. The clown is due to kill something soon, I blame it for the sailfin tang dying recently.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tangs were all pretty peaceful until I added a Powder Brown. Then it's like everyone became on edge all the time and alot more random beat up and fish brushes started after adding. I wish I never added it and still consider removing it all the time.

More hiding spots I think would help. The mirror trick did help alot when used but was not a permanent solution. What seems to have worked best is using 2 alage clips on opposite sides in the tank. After adding the 2nd clip I would say I felt like 50% of the aggression died down.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my experience, if you bring in one that looks like a tangs that has already made its territory in your tank, there is more chance of aggression. IE, try to bring a scopa when a yellow has already made its territory, he will most likely see this as an aggression, while a desjardini will be no problem. Try different color or shapes, unless you bring them at same time.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs! Sadly, I have a 20g, so its absolutely no option :( I'd really like at least a 150g tank so I can keep multiple tangs: powder blue, yellow, blue tang, tomini maybe, I would love an achilles but those are hard to keep, and need a tank bigger than 150g. Plus they are $$$

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have avoided both powder blues and powder browns for two reasons: they are ick magnets, and they are really aggressive towards other tangs

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs! Sadly, I have a 20g, so its absolutely no option :( I'd really like at least a 150g tank so I can keep multiple tangs: powder blue, yellow, blue tang, tomini maybe, I would love an achilles but those are hard to keep, and need a tank bigger than 150g. Plus they are $$$
It's all expensive. A 150g is a few thousand dollars. I would go with a 6' 180g+ and never look back. You can have tangs then and it's only about a grand or so more. You end up being able to have tangs and you save money by going the next size because a 150g feels small after a year.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all expensive. A 150g is a few thousand dollars. I would go with a 6' 180g+ and never look back. You can have tangs then and it's only about a grand or so more. You end up being able to have tangs and you save money by going the next size because a 150g feels small after a year.
Well to me a 40g is big XD But sadly this won't be happening any time, soon: I still have to finish highschool, university, med school, then in residency I plan on upgrading. *I also plan on buying a WB10g for my dorm room lol. Ive planned every aspect of my life XD

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to me a 40g is big XD But sadly this won't be happening any time, soon: I still have to finish highschool, university, med school, then in residency I plan on upgrading. *I also plan on buying a WB10g for my dorm room lol. Ive planned every aspect of my life XD
Best of luck. By the time you're at the point in life for that 6' tank you'll probably have the money for a 10' or bigger. Go big or go home right?

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I have a 6' 125 and now I'm thinking, wow, I really need a 240 (96x24x24). Get the biggest tank you can fit in your space

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I have a 6' 125 and now I'm thinking, wow, I really need a 240 (96x24x24). Get the biggest tank you can fit in your space
Same, I have a 6' peninsula 180 and I'm working on making a whole other 75g just for coral frags... It's an addiction, please don't tell my wife what I spend a year on aquariums.

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with a regal blue, chocolate, sailfin, and whitetail bristle tooth tang. Added in that order. I wanted to wait and do a purple or powder blue last, but I am not so sure anymore as the sailfin is the boss of the tank.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210225_085141.jpg

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with a regal blue, chocolate, sailfin, and whitetail bristle tooth tang. Added in that order. I wanted to wait and do a purple or powder blue last, but I am not so sure anymore as the sailfin is the boss of the tank.
If you want a new dynamic, add a clown tang

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regal, yellow, and purple in a 180.

The yellow and regal were have been together for 4-5yrs, I think. The purple was added this summer. There was about 24hrs of nipping at the purple, but it quickly subsided. The purple was visibly smaller than the other two, so he didn't try to be aggressive at all. The only one that bothers the purple tang is my female snowflake clown, she'll chase him the entire 6ft of the tank or until the purple darts through the rocks to the other side of the tank.

Back