Who makes an affordable and decent quality 8ft long tank?

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get an 8 foot long tank. Either a 240 or 300. Who makes a good one that doesn't break the bank?

benihana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends in your definition of breaking the bank, and whether you want acrylic or glass. I don't know of any manufacturers that stock an 8' tank, so it is most likely going to be custom. Based on what I am getting back for the bids on my 72x42x24" tank, I would venture a guess that you are looking in the $3-4k price range for new....not to mention all of the equipment that would go with it as well.

At the end of the day, the tank is going to be a fraction of the total cost, but one of the few things you cannot change...get the best you can afford...maybe even a little more

benihana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw that you are in MN. If you are looking for acrylic, check out Midwest customer aquariums and also The Aquarium Guru, both had reasonable pricing for my bids

benihana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got to that point in the process yet. I am leaning towards the aquarium guru, but want to see a few of the tanks he has built before i decide

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 96"x24"x30" being delivered this week from one of my LFS. Just the tank was $1700 and that includes them delivering it to me. They had it within a week of me ordering it. I am out of town at the moment so don't have a brand name for you.

Glass cages also has 8' long tanks for a similar price

benihana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that SWE is selling their marine land 300 DD display, stand, and canopy for $1000 - it also has Starphyre glass

That is about as inexpensive as you can get for a large tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree, worldclassaquariums.
I have personally seen their work and it is excellent.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a glasscages rimless and it is gorgeous!

Their 240 tall with starphire glass is less than $1,400 (don't forget shipping)

OP
OP
K

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that SWE is selling their marine land 300 DD display, stand, and canopy for $1000 - it also has Starphyre glass

That is about as inexpensive as you can get for a large tank
That would be a great deal. The downside is that I can't fit that tank through the doorway (dd are 36 inches deep while the doorway is about 26-27 inches at its most narrow part).

OP
OP
K

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out world class, aquarium guru, midwest and lemar as well. I'm on the fence with glass cages. I've heard both good and bad.

Back