Who names these corals?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own names for the same ones. One kind of Zoa may have 5 or more different names. Just depends on who is selling it.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that ones been in the hobby for years most people in order to not offend say “blue eyed blondies “ lol but agreed with previous comment

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own names for the same ones. One kind of Zoa may have 5 or more different names. Just depends on who is selling it.
I've seen someone call Armor of God zoanthids "Armor of Satan" Zoanthids.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually garage vendors who "discover" the zoas name them. Sometimes you'll have a shipment with the same zoa sent to multiple vendors and they'll each have their own name for it. Quite annoying.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was at a frag fest a year or so ago and was talking with this vendor for a long time. The whole time I was listening to the vendor next to him. This vendor next to him would tell every single person that came up to him and asked about his frag that it was a new coral discovered and named by him. He was charging allot more than the vendor I was talking too for the exact same pieces. They were just common pieces too.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name game has seem to have gotten worse over the years. I remember some OG reefers back in the day get upset and at the time I did not see an issue with it. But, fast forward 10 years, there are multiple names for the same coral. I myself don't care about names and some of them are very colorful as you mentioned OP (I do love the blondies zoanthids though). If I see something I like, I get it. So much hype for names and greed attached.

Got to come clean here though since I was a part of the naming of a particular mushroom and took an active role in that but that is only because the reefer who had those corals for over a decade was very generous and was an old school type. He even gave a bunch away and knowing the greed and how someone would give it some funky name that has nothing to do with the history, I wanted with his permission and a vote to have his name attached to that shroom to keep the history.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to call out Aqua SD as I’m a repeat customer but on their site I’ve seen at least 2 names for identical corals; esp torches, chalices and some acros

Back