Whoops! Mg

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
Anyone know of any side affects of high magnesium to both fish and corals?
I thought it was low! (1170) so I dosed it over a week with Red Sea Mg. I checked with the Redsea Pro Mg test kit today. (Previously using salifert)

And it seems I was reading my previous reading incorrectly!!
Whoops!
My Magnesium today appears to be 1540ppm.....I’m hoping it’ll drop over the week! I’ve been struggling to maintain Ca levels, so my magnesium probably was low, but not as low as I initially thought it seems.

Other parameters
Sg- 1025
Alk -9.1
Ca - 425
Mg-1540ppm.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Emma x

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
Anyone know of any side affects of high magnesium to both fish and corals?
I thought it was low! (1170) so I dosed it over a week with Red Sea Mg. I checked with the Redsea Pro Mg test kit today. (Previously using salifert)

And it seems I was reading my previous reading incorrectly!!
Whoops!
My Magnesium today appears to be 1540ppm.....I’m hoping it’ll drop over the week! I’ve been struggling to maintain Ca levels, so my magnesium probably was low, but not as low as I initially thought it seems.

Other parameters
Sg- 1025
Alk -9.1
Ca - 425
Mg-1540ppm.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Emma x
As long as it was a gradual increase it should not be a problem IMO. I keep my magnesium around 1500. Of course I am not an expert. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give you a bit more reassurance, back in the day (yep, I'm sounding like an old man), the old Kent Tech M magnesium use to be used to kill bryopsis by raising the concentration to 1800-2000ppm, with no ill effect on the inhabitants of your tank. So again, you'll be just fine.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said, if the test result is correct you should be fine.

I say ‘if’ because I used the Red Sea Magnesium kit for years and always had high magnesium readings. Until I got a Triton icp test which showed magnesium to be around 1240 and not 1500!

I now use the NYOS Magnesium test which is more accurate and was within about 5ppm of the Triton test. Oh and it’s so much easier, there’s no comparison with ease of use.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As already said, if the test result is correct you should be fine.

I say ‘if’ because I used the Red Sea Magnesium kit for years and always had high magnesium readings. Until I got a Triton icp test which showed magnesium to be around 1240 and not 1500!

I now use the NYOS Magnesium test which is more accurate and was within about 5ppm of the Triton test. Oh and it’s so much easier, there’s no comparison with ease of use.

I also have high readings on RS Mag test kit so I got the salifert which was much lower

RS 1450 ppm
Salifert 1275

Going to check out the nyos

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this today, I have both test kits (salifert and redsea pro) and i just happen to test both today from both brands, redsea tests around 300 higher than salifert, and from other posts and the ones above, salifert seems to be correct. you did not overdose Mg, i assure you~

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only adverse affect I've heard of is snails may not be be as healthy as they would be at lower levels.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, id like to correct myself,. my salifert is the one that seems to be incorrect. i went to LFS today and compared with their salifert kit, and it matches closely with my redsea. im assuming my salifert kit is old (expiry is feb 2021), not expired, but just old. it is reading too low maybe... it is a possibility that redsea is OK, despite others experiences with it testing high.

but really im on the fence, until a triton test at least ^_^

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back