Who's into fish-only?? Can we see some FOWLR photos?

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fowlr tank in my kitchen. With a sailfin and a coral beauty. Waiting for someone to upgrade and I’m buying his 75g for our bedroom. Can’t wait to get a gorgeous fish only tank. Already have a gorgeous reef in our living room 125g.
@code4 why did you laugh? You think I’m going to keep a sailfin in a 75? He’s being held (juvenile) while my friend gets his new 500g set up. Otherwise not sure why my post was funny?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
219959BC-8312-4230-8108-F2E9073B2B32.jpeg

set it up formy mother in law. But really I set it up for me so I can have the fish that I can’t have at my house in my reef lol there’s a lion in there and a harlequin tusk now too
O I forgot. Here’s the one I set up for my dad. Very similar FOWLR set up but my mother n law had the more appealing light fixture IMO. and my mom put little fake corals on hers
CC709F26-14A2-4D94-9087-C970B2675A2E.jpeg

Samandar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201106-231704.png

As you see the only reef that seams to be health is montipora. All other reefs are not happy. Why , I don't know!

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a quick question. For fish only tanks, with just maybe rocks in it (of course). Do you still have to deal with nuisance algae or have to clean the glass as often vs having a reef tank?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a quick question. For fish only tanks, with just maybe rocks in it (of course). Do you still have to deal with nuisance algae or have to clean the glass as often vs having a reef tank?
Never had a problem with algae and clean glass once every 10 days

Tanked86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine. Been going for 2 years as of October 5th. I don’t do any water changes. Earlier on I changed some water but would guess it’s less than 75 gallons changed total in the whole time it’s been up. Have a little cyano but my PBT eats it! I’ve also quit using Vibrant and haven’t used it for about 4 or 5 months now. Dosed it every week from beginning until that time. Just took these pics minutes ago. Water looks a little yellow. Guess it’s time to change the carbon and GFO in the reactor.

5F1EDB7B-ED11-4ECF-BEE9-F05F6965C0E4.jpeg 6DB4544E-8D2F-499B-8912-E29518C7263B.jpeg
Nice! No water changes? Please explain.

Tanked86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once before I purchased a timer for the lights. That week work was crazy and I didn’t always make it home in time to dim the lights and I had a bunch of brown algae everywhere. But since I haven’t had any problems.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! No water changes? Please explain.
So, in the beginning I planned very heavily for water changes. Set up mixing station and the works. Cycling finished and I tested everything. I’m sure phosphates were high but I didn’t have that test in the beginning. Nitrates “0”. I run 4L of pond matrix, 4 marinePur plates, and a box of MarinePur spheres. Guessing all of that media is consuming all of the nitrate. For a couple months I was doing 1 gallon a day manually but wasn’t seeing any benefit so that stopped. Now, the only thing I do is fill the ATO weekly and feed fish. Every now and then I’ll check salinity and adjust it with top off. I’m not sure what caused the balance in the tank but it’s working without water changes. I now have a Hannah Phosphate checker and for a while that level was off the chart but I brought it down over time with Lanthanum chloride. Hadn’t checked it in a while now though. I have 1 little spit on the fake coral insert that grows cyano but my powder blue tang actually eats it and I never get it anywhere else in the tank.
not sure what else I can attribute to it.

Tanked86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the beginning I planned very heavily for water changes. Set up mixing station and the works. Cycling finished and I tested everything. I’m sure phosphates were high but I didn’t have that test in the beginning. Nitrates “0”. I run 4L of pond matrix, 4 marinePur plates, and a box of MarinePur spheres. Guessing all of that media is consuming all of the nitrate. For a couple months I was doing 1 gallon a day manually but wasn’t seeing any benefit so that stopped. Now, the only thing I do is fill the ATO weekly and feed fish. Every now and then I’ll check salinity and adjust it with top off. I’m not sure what caused the balance in the tank but it’s working without water changes. I now have a Hannah Phosphate checker and for a while that level was off the chart but I brought it down over time with Lanthanum chloride. Hadn’t checked it in a while now though. I have 1 little spit on the fake coral insert that grows cyano but my powder blue tang actually eats it and I never get it anywhere else in the tank.
not sure what else I can attribute to it.
Wow impressive. I purchased some marine pure spheres a few weeks ago but I’ve been afraid to add them because I read a few placing that said not to add with you have live rock and/or live sand. I currently do 25% water changes every three weeks but I’ve never had a spike. I do have some brown algae now so I might have some phosphates also, I’m going to buy a tester today. Thanks for the breakdown.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are beautiful FOWLR tanks! It's funny though; having a coral dominated tank my eyes naturally want to go all over the rockscape in these pics and videos looking for corals! After a split second or two, I start to focus on the fish and their interactions and can see the attraction of FOLWR tanks!!

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are beautiful FOWLR tanks! It's funny though; having a coral dominated tank my eyes naturally want to go all over the rockscape in these pics and videos looking for corals! After a split second or two, I start to focus on the fish and their interactions and can see the attraction of FOLWR tanks!!

i have a similar perspective. Corals are beautiful to look at, but typically do not do much. So after you look at corals for a while and say “wow that is beautiful” you’re done. The fish obviously constantly move and interact with each other and you so can sustain your attention much longer.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank I want a 300+ for a FOWLR pretty bad but not gonna happen any time soon, :(
is that a white-ish yellow tank or just the play of light and camera?
Yeah It is a whiteish yellow tang. I got him when it was tiny and as it grew it no longer had that yellowish color to him. Not sure why even though I feed with lots of vitamins and supplements.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah It is a whiteish yellow tang. I got him when it was tiny and as it grew it no longer had that yellowish color to him. Not sure why even though I feed with lots of vitamins and supplements.
WWC has one like that its name is casper pretty "famous" cool you have one too!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back