Why a sediment filter and not two carbon filters?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in a typical 4-stage RODI setup, it's sediment filter->carbon filter->RO membrane->DI filter. If both the sediment filter and the carbon filter have the same micron rating (usually around 5 uM), then, aside from cost, why not just use two carbon filters? Am I missing something?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So in a typical 4-stage RODI setup, it's sediment filter->carbon filter->RO membrane->DI filter. If both the sediment filter and the carbon filter have the same micron rating (usually around 5 uM), then, aside from cost, why not just use two carbon filters? Am I missing something?
Its basically a pre-filter so you don't clog the carbon block prematurely. As quickly as my sediment clogs up, I can't even imagine how fast my carbon block would be rendered useless

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon filter is serving a different purpose to the sediment filter. It’s job is to remove lots of chemicals, particularly Chlorine and Chloramine. As said above without the Sediment filter to remove large solids it will quickly clog up and dramatically reduce your water production. The sediment filter due to it’s open weave construction can suspend vastly more large solids than the carbon filter can.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back