Why All-For-Reef don't have potassium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why All-For-Reef and K+ Elements don't have potassium? Is it not important enough to dose?

I just tested mine and it's 368 ppm. Have been using the DIY All-For-Reef mix.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why All-For-Reef and K+ Elements don't have potassium? Is it not important enough to dose?

I just tested mine and it's 368 ppm. Have been using the DIY All-For-Reef mix.
Potassium is not really considered a "trace element" as it exists is much larger concentrations than typical traces. Also, the potassium uptake in the reef tank is not necessarily proportional to the trace element uptake. So we only dose a small trace amount in our Trace A solution. So, like magnesium, potasium has to be dosed separately, so you have total control over needing more or less. This is not true of the trace elements in the AFR or the Trace A or K. normal sea water potassium is about 380 ppm, so anything around 400ppm is generally good.

OP
OP
ReefBeta

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium is not really considered a "trace element" as it exists is much larger concentrations than typical traces. Also, the potassium uptake in the reef tank is not necessarily proportional to the trace element uptake. So we only dose a small trace amount in our Trace A solution. So, like magnesium, potasium has to be dosed separately, so you have total control over needing more or less. This is not true of the trace elements in the AFR or the Trace A or K. normal sea water potassium is about 380 ppm, so anything around 400ppm is generally good.

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot.

Is there a potassium product that's safe to mix into AFR? I want to manually figure out the dosage I need in the next month or two, then mix it into my AFR doser.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Helps a lot.

Is there a potassium product that's safe to mix into AFR? I want to manually figure out the dosage I need in the next month or two, then mix it into my AFR doser.
Yes, it is somewhat difficult to find. But you can add or potassium to the AFR with no problem.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, we are just trying to get enough stock in the country right now. I think you will start to see it become available within a month or so. Definitely sometime during the first quarter of 21!
Nearly everyone loves TM products, but the lack of supply is hugely problematic. Do you think this situation will correct itself as we exit the worst of the pandemic?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly everyone loves TM products, but the lack of supply is hugely problematic. Do you think this situation will correct itself as we exit the worst of the pandemic?
We have increased our manufacturing capacities quite a bit in the last few months. It takes Tropic Marin a significant amount of time to do that, due to our extremely stringent QC procedures. That being said, the very beginning of our increased capacity is starting to show up in the US. I would think that supply of Tropic Marin will look like a very different animal by the middle of this year.
BTW, we have been fortunate that, although it has effected some shipping and delivery schedules, our factory has not had to slow down at all due to COVID-19. We have been very careful with alternating shifts etc. If that all continues well, and there are no "new" issues, I am confident the supply will be much better in the very near future.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou, is potassium one of the elements that would get covered through a normal water change schedule? It had never occurred to me to test or supplement.

[Using AFR with Pro Reef salt]

chefbuddy24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I am waiting on it. Quick question @Lou Ekus , I am on the fence about switching to the tm salt. I currently use Red Sea pro and have a sps dominant tank. Dose 24 ml afr with a Kamoer x1 pro.
My question is what are the main benefits for making a switch to Tm salt? Cost is not a factor for me like for som.
Thank you

Ha, we are just trying to get enough stock in the country right now. I think you will start to see it become available within a month or so. Definitely sometime during the first quarter of 21!

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I am waiting on it. Quick question @Lou Ekus , I am on the fence about switching to the tm salt. I currently use Red Sea pro and have a sps dominant tank. Dose 24 ml afr with a Kamoer x1 pro.
My question is what are the main benefits for making a switch to Tm salt? Cost is not a factor for me like for som.
Thank you
Hi Chef,

If you are seeing any residual sediment, from mixing your salt now, you will not see that with the Pro Reef. I will say, though, that the switch from the Red Sea Pro needs to be done carefully and with the knowledge that you are going from one extreme of alkalinity to the other. The impact will be more or less noticable depending on where you like to keep the alkalinity in your tank system. If you'd like to discuss this, and the transition, in more detail. give me a call in the office and we can go over the specifics.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou, is potassium one of the elements that would get covered through a normal water change schedule? It had never occurred to me to test or supplement.

[Using AFR with Pro Reef salt]
It totally depends on the specific of the individual system. Some yes, and some no.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back