Why are my zoas growing excess "flesh"??

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are some of my zoas look like they're growing excess flesh?? Are they just trying to move?? The purple fleshy part is growing and emerging between their heads??
What's up?

20210822_172951.jpg

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell under blues. Everyone will be asking you if you can please post a picture under white light

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its poriferan sponge- not pineapple or others. Expose to air and it will shrink and dislodge. You can cut away BUT do it outside of tank as there is risk of toxins.
Last option, inject with vinegar using syringe and it will deflate and dissipate

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell from your pics, but I’ve had some type of purple mat overtake part of my tank a few years back. It started in some zoas, I though it was part of the zoas but wasn’t.

it was like a semi gloss purple that was able to easily peel off the rock in some places. It literally grew over anything, corals, rock, hair algae etc. it looked like a smooth version of green star polyps purple mat.

I ended up muriatic acid washing all the rock it was on to get rid of it. I seen it again in my display about a year ago again in my zoas, but it never took hold like it did before.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its poriferan sponge- not pineapple or others. Expose to air and it will shrink and dislodge. You can cut away BUT do it outside of tank as there is risk of toxins.
Last option, inject with vinegar using syringe and it will deflate and dissipate
Zx- Pointing up.gif

What he said. Also, if pulling it off and need to get in between the polyps, wait until lights are out and zoas are closed. Otherwise some will not close even after you take them out of the water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Red Frog said tunicates- I lookig at added pics do see sea squirt which is a type of tunicate which is a filter feeder and will grow larger. Tunicates are made of cellulose, not silicates as is the case with sponges. Best way to stop them is to starve them or add a dab of gel superglue to their opening

OP
OP
Tabbers920

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already attempted to rip them off the rock, they were sponge like, squishy, and released something as I pulled it apart. Is this a hitchhiker or something that just grew over time within the ecosystem?

OP
OP
Tabbers920

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I ripped apart a sponge and there's much left behind, should I remove that zoa plug due to toxins being released??? Shooot

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t stress, but whatever it is, it is likely more sensitive to air/coral dip than zoas. You could try letting the frag have exposure to air for 1/2-1 minute, followed by a coral dip (if you have some available). That’s my recommendation, but there are countless ways to go about this

OP
OP
Tabbers920

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t stress, but whatever it is, it is likely more sensitive to air/coral dip than zoas. You could try letting the frag have exposure to air for 1/2-1 minute, followed by a coral dip (if you have some available). That’s my recommendation, but there are countless ways to go about this
The sponge is dead, I just ripped it apart- I'm worried about toxins released in the tank now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back