Why aren't gorgonians more popular?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why aren't gorgonians more popular? I've been doing a lot of snorkeling here in St Kitts, and have to say the blend of various SPS, LPS, and gorgonians is really nice to look at. Most of the gorgs here are photosynthetic, and it just looks nice! I do have a little purple ribbon gorg in my nano, but will definitely have more once we upgrade!

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuz the photosynthetic ones are purple or brown and look ugly under blues. The orange, red, and yellow ones are not photosynthetic and prone to die.
The purple ones actually look pretty good, especially when people keep their lighting more white (Saxby settings). And some of the orange or yellows aren't too hard to keep, especially with today's reef foods like live phyto, copepod nauplii, and reef chili.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With whites, unfortunately the coral flouresence doesn't "pop" so people usually make choice as they are mutually exclusive. Most people side with the fluorescent corals unfortunately, so gorgs gets the short end of the stick. This is esp true with acros bc all those high end crazy color acros only show up under blue light.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gorgonians. One was described as a Gold Plume Sea Fan. I've had it nearly a year and it hasn't grown. It's honestly a bit of an ugly thing and I don't know what to do with it. The other is a Tracy Morgan and I'm crazy about it. It's big and puffy and growing enthusiastically. Maybe people don't have gorgonians because they haven't found the one that speaks to them.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
allopathic?

Allelopathy is where corals plants etc produce chemicals/compounds to stunt or kill nearby competition...some gorgonian are known to be particularly nasty producers

Sometimes referred to now as coral chemical warfare

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allelopathy is where corals plants etc produce chemicals/compounds to stunt or kill nearby competition...some gorgonian are known to be particularly nasty producers

Sometimes referred to now as coral chemical warfare
Ah yes. That’s quite different from allopathy and allopathic which is the ‘standard’ form of medical practice.
I’ve heard this before about gorgonians but have yet to see any evidence of it with mine.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back