Why can’t I grow Chaeto?

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 350 and have tried multiple times to start a refug. I have the nutrient to support it. I’m using a Tunze submersible light. I know it’s not the best light but have read reviews of people with success. Could it be my light? I run light for 6 hours at night. Chaeto does ok in the beginning then starts to die off and turn color. Looks like it wilts away....Thanks

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 350 and have tried multiple times to start a refug. I have the nutrient to support it. I’m using a Tunze submersible light. I know it’s not the best light but have read reviews of people with success. Could it be my light? I run light for 6 hours at night. Chaeto does ok in the beginning then starts to die off and turn color. Looks like it wilts away....Thanks
Whats you nutrients at now? What are you using to control nutrients? A lot of time the cheato will strip nutrients and starve.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto was turning white and dying when I lacked iron. Even though I had nitrates/p04, it would still die. Once I started to dose iron (or chaetogrow) my chaeto started to take off. Also, i heard low iodine can make it bad also?

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats you nutrients at now? What are you using to control nutrients? A lot of time the cheato will strip nutrients and starve.
Po4 is .10 No3 is 25. I’m using a regal 150 reef octopus skimmer.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto was turning white and dying when I lacked iron. Even though I had nitrates/p04, it would still die. Once I started to dose iron (or chaetogrow) my chaeto started to take off. Also, i heard low iodine can make it bad also?
Interesting...maybe I’ll try this..

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also cheap and 1 pill has lasted me about 2 months. Its like $11.50 on amazon for a 100 count. Doing some quick math that bottle will last me 16 years. Chaetogrow includes other minors like boron but I will cross that bridge when I stop seeing perfect nutrient numbers and massive growth in my maco.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also cheap and 1 pill has lasted me about 2 months. Its like $11.50 on amazon for a 100 count. Doing some quick math that bottle will last me 16 years. Chaetogrow includes other minors like boron but I will cross that bridge when I stop seeing perfect nutrient numbers and massive growth in my maco.
Thanks a bunch!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some folks, myself included, can't grow chaeto even though water has nutrient to support it. Meanwhile, I have no problem growing caulerpa in sump (and never had issue of it going asexual and releasing spores like folks have warned). Instead of adding chems just for the sake of growing chaeto, I'd recommend trying a natural alternative. Additional benefit of Caulerpa is that my foxface loves to eat it when I put some in DT in a mesh after pruning them from sump.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding algae based foods such as nori could help, I suppose. It’s got all the essential elements for algal growth, if you got things that will eat it.
6 hours isn’t much though, especially if the light is a bit weak.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back