Why cant u keep sps?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha im not here to advocate zeovit. In the beginning of the thread i only mention bacteria. U can use any brand that suit your preferences. Zeovit is not an easy system to do because the dosage is very unique to each tank. If u dose per the zeo guidance then u could easily over dose your system. My point to this thread is bacteria will help your sps more healthier and better chance of survival. Aquaforest, Fauna marin, Brightwell, Triton , red sea all have their own bacteria source.
I know that wasn’t your objective but that’s not what someone with dying sps is going to conclude. They’re going to see your awesome tank with massive beautiful growing acros and think, it must be the zeovit. I know because I’ve been stranded on I-SPS Desparate highway. They won’t take into account that you have decades of experience, a diligent routine, heavy feeding regiment and 50-100X the “recommended” po4. I just wanted everyone to know that bacteria may be your secret sauce, but there are other ingredients to your recipe. I doubt in and out burgers special sauce would taste good on olive gardens lasagna.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason i create this thread is to have a good discussion so together we might be able to find a better way to figure out why some cant keep sps in their tank? In the beginning i list 10 most common questions every thread got but no one mention the important of bacteria. Bacteria to me is like trace elements corals eat them and if u don’t replenish them eventually it will be depleted
But im just a hobbyist therefore i have no proof that lacking bacteria is the cause of the tank inability to keep sps. It just a theory if u think its make sense then do it if not then dont do it :)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chaswood79 what bottles do you have?
Just looked and apparently I threw away the zeostart and Zeobak, but I still have the reactor. I’m a huge fan of KZ’s flatworm stop, their trace elements and coral snow, so I’ll be keeping those bottles. Please PM for other inquiries.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS are not dying but I think we are all looking for a more beautiful tank with faster/healthier corals. While we are all hoping to find that little blue pill that will make our corals amazing in this instant gratification world, the reality is that reefing is more of a puzzle with a lot of pieces that must fit together to be successful. This thread has been great as it has shed light on another puzzle piece that I had not really put a lot of thought into. It may not be the little blue pill, but it has made me do some research and look into it further. Then I can make an informed decision about if this is something I want to try and form my own opinion as to whether it helps or not. After a little research I decided I will try adding some new bacteria to my reef.
Cheers! Mark

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason i create this thread is to have a good discussion so together we might be able to find a better way to figure out why some cant keep sps in their tank? In the beginning i list 10 most common questions every thread got but no one mention the important of bacteria. Bacteria to me is like trace elements corals eat them and if u don’t replenish them eventually it will be depleted
But im just a hobbyist therefore i have no proof that lacking bacteria is the cause of the tank inability to keep sps. It just a theory if u think its make sense then do it if not then dont do it :)
I totally agree. Especially since most of us are lead to believe that we need over sized skimmers to keep sps (WRONG), which remove a large portion of the bacteria in our tanks. All I’m saying is I don’t believe using “dry rock” is the common denominator. My rock was 15 years old when I caught the sps bug again, and my common denominator for failure was reading magic potion labels, daily testing chasing “ideal” no3/po4. The lower no3/po4 were, never zero btw, the faster they died. After I reached success I needed a frag tank. Dry rock, no skimmer, no bacteria, no testing, no problems. Just par tested light, fish poop and water changes. Keep it simple ppl. It’s not rocket science

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 my last tank my SPS were going crazy and I was neglecting the hell out of the tank and was not dosing a single thing. So I guess it was simple and the light and natural nutrients was all the energy the sps needed to thrive. That's why there is that honeymoon stage where things are going good, because the tank is still simple,we are taking it slow. I do believe though that there is a difference between surviving and thriving which is where all these proven benefits come into play so im all for giving the bacteria a go and thankful this topic came up. Its about creating the best environment and giving these living creatures everything we can :)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha too much discussion time to relax a little
Old school pearl berry
CB9A2882-9864-4BBB-B0ED-1B92FF331798.jpeg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have suggested that BRS do an investigation on this. We could get some solid results and either debunk this theory or give it some serious merit..

Maybe not 100% to what you suggested, but their ULM series is close.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love golf. I would not give it up easily. That’s for sure. My next big purchase would be an indoor practice range and simulator to keep me in good motion all winter. If I reefed like I golfed, I’d be growing coral out the water haha

corey

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back