Why cant u keep sps?

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like I said all i want to do is helping to solve the sps problem. With all the technology that we have now our progress of reef keeping should be improved not going downward. I believe soon the coral will start spawning in our tank and we will be able to see a single polyp grow to colony in front of our eye.
This has already happened to me with pocyllophora. I got it half a year ago, and now at least more than 15 of it's sprouts throughout the aquarium.
This is the very first seen, it is already 1 "
20191207_135951.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has already happened to me with pocyllophora. I got it half a year ago, and now at least more than 15 of it's sprouts throughout the aquarium.
This is the very first seen, it is already 1 "
20191207_135951.jpg
Pocillopora is known to do that, and a reason why many avoid keeping them (They take up good real estate).

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora is known to do that, and a reason why many avoid keeping them (They take up good real estate).

Agreed, had to pull my colony, and the sprouts still popped up everywhere, overflows, returns, glass, and rock, a pita, lol. Never again with pocci :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!! Loving those videos

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE = "Папочка, должность: 6838815, участник: 86462"]
Итак, помимо бактерий, каковы другие проблемы, которые могут вызвать это:
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg

[/ QUOTE]
Look at my post. I have had problems in the past.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top container belongs to a friend. His parameters were in line and one by one the SPS die until the one day when they all die. He was so frustrated that he ripped his reef apart and is going to start from scratch.
The bottom container came from my reef. We got a bunch of huge cuttings and when we opened the containers, they smelled like rotten fish and were starting to RTN.
So not much I could do with mine except do a quick acclimation and try to frag the good parts off. We did manage to save a lot.
My friends reef still remains a mystery.
Cheers! Mark

Charles Volpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion is pretty coincidental.. I’m relatively new to reef keeping, but I’m an avid researcher and ocd with tank optimization. In short, I’ve had great success with LPS coloration/growth. But, my acropora were lagging, relatively. I feed often, dose aminos/trace etc., but wasn’t seeing the accelerated growth in my acros compared to my LPS.. I finally hypothesized that the only thing that I was overlooking as a possible deterrent to accelerated Acro growth was seeding additional beneficial bacteria. That maybe, over the course of time with the addition of new inhabitants/specimen growth, that the foundational beneficial bacteria via the cycle could no longer support the livestock. So, I bought a bottle of MicroBacter7 and did an initial dose.. I can literally say that I had new frags with very little to no frag encrustation, visibly start encrusting overnight. Im not here to try to convince anyone of anything.. or, to even suggest that supplementing the same with provide results to others. This is actually my first response to a R2R thread. I just felt compelled to respond as I’ve recently come to a similar conclusion based on my experience and observation with my tank.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This discussion is pretty coincidental.. I’m relatively new to reef keeping, but I’m an avid researcher and ocd with tank optimization. In short, I’ve had great success with LPS coloration/growth. But, my acropora were lagging, relatively. I feed often, dose aminos/trace etc., but wasn’t seeing the accelerated growth in my acros compared to my LPS.. I finally hypothesized that the only thing that I was overlooking as a possible deterrent to accelerated Acro growth was seeding additional beneficial bacteria. That maybe, over the course of time with the addition of new inhabitants/specimen growth, that the foundational beneficial bacteria via the cycle could no longer support the livestock. So, I bought a bottle of MicroBacter7 and did an initial dose.. I can literally say that I had new frags with very little to no frag encrustation, visibly start encrusting overnight. Im not here to try to convince anyone of anything.. or, to even suggest that supplementing the same with provide results to others. This is actually my first response to a R2R thread. I just felt compelled to respond as I’ve recently come to a similar conclusion based on my experience and observation with my tank.

Wow, I wonder if it was coincidence or not. I would think that these bacteria would take a bit to benifit the reef and in turn affect growth in acros but maybe struggling acros benifit from it more than most of us think? Either way I do agree that it benefits some struggling tanks at least enough to get them turned around.

Charles Volpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I wonder if it was coincidence or not. I would think that these bacteria would take a bit to benifit the reef and in turn affect growth in acros but maybe struggling acros benifit from it more than most of us think? Either way I do agree that it benefits some struggling tanks at least enough to get them turned around.
Yes, my acros’ coloration was already fine. I was getting some branching, but very slow. I should make it evident that when referencing my new frag plugs, I was referring to Acro frag plugs that were glued to my rock. The visible overnight encrustation occurred across almost all my acros glued to my rock. I have two frag plugs in a rack, and they haven’t seen the same type of encrusting occur (at least yet). Therefore, I think there’s something to be said about the beneficial bacteria taking to the rock and therefore accelerating encrusting growth. * I’m about one week into seeding the additional beneficial bacteria, and I would say most of the acro plugs glued to the rock are about 60% covered on average.. Thus, I feel it’s reasonable to conclude that the addition of the beneficial bacteria, as it relates to my tank, has had a significant impact on the vast majority of acros glued to my rock...

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an article regarding acropora feeding on bacteria which strengthens my theory that as the acropora and tank grow if you don’t replenish the bacteria population it will be depleted. When coral are healthy they look wet and a lot of slime or mucus excreted so they can feed. When coral look dry and dull is because they are lacking of bacteria to feed. Just like clam when small they rely on feeding and photosynthesis to grow. If only light is available then the growth rate will slow down. I archived the fast growth rate because i provide both light and bacteria for the acropora to consume therefore fast growth and healthier acropora. Below are an article regarding acropora and bacteria

In novel lab observations of interactions between corals and planktonic bacteria, known as picoplankton, researchers found that corals are selectively feeding on specific types of bacteria -- the same bacteria whose growth is promoted by organic matter and nutrients that are released by the corals.

"We've known that marine microbes play major roles in moving nutrients and recycling matter into forms that are more usable to the corals," says WHOI microbiologist Amy Apprill, one of the authors of the paper published Oct. 12, 2016, in the journal Limnology and Oceanography. "But this study demonstrates for the first time that corals are having some control on the production of microbes around them, and that the corals are using that to benefit their own growth."

Corals secrete a protective surface layer of mucus, which also support an active community of microbes. In order to better understand how corals and coral mucus might be interacting with microbes in surrounding reef waters, Apprill, and her colleagues Sean McNally and Rachel Parsons at BIOS, set up aquaria-based experiments using colonies of the coral P. astreoides obtained from three Bermudian reefs.

A total of nine tanks of seawater were utilized in the 12-day experiment. The research team counted microbes in the seawater so they could track the different populations and how they were responding to different treatments. Three of the tanks were used as "controls" and received no additions, while researchers added mucus obtained from P. astreoides corals into three of the tanks. In the remaining three tanks, corals were introduced and then later removed so researchers could observe their effects on microbes in the seawater.

"When we put the corals in the tanks, the microbes in the sea water were drastically reduced in numbers," Apprill says. "We observed that the corals were selectively feeding on several types of bacteria -- Rhodobacteraceae, Synechococcus, and SAR11, which are most abundant groups of bacteria in the ocean. We then took the corals out of the sea water tanks, and we observed a strong increase in these microbes."

The increase was partially a result of the microbes replenishing themselves since the corals were no longer feeding on them, the researchers say.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have all the successful reefers I know spit in a bottle

Although I DO agree with you, I know of reefers who are successful with starting with dry rock, all new everything, dead rock, reboots, etc. and who don't use bacterial products and their tanks are awesome. I'm gonna argue that THE common denominator between all of them is... experience. We are forgetting we get bacteria for free in their fish poop. The other common thing is just to feed the dang tank, alot.

I used MB7 and ecobalance to add to my already poor system, so to me, it didn't hurt to add it to *maybe* help with any strains i was potentially lacking. I can't say it helps or hurts. I feel alot of people have issues with "perfect" parameters because 1) their source water isn't as clean as they think 2)running their systems too lean 3)overthinking things/experience.

How much do you charge to send me some magic spit elixer?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top container belongs to a friend. His parameters were in line and one by one the SPS die until the one day when they all die. He was so frustrated that he ripped his reef apart and is going to start from scratch.
The bottom container came from my reef. We got a bunch of huge cuttings and when we opened the containers, they smelled like rotten fish and were starting to RTN.
So not much I could do with mine except do a quick acclimation and try to frag the good parts off. We did manage to save a lot.
My friends reef still remains a mystery.
Cheers! Mark
Kind of makes you wonder if the recommended “line” should be changed. I’ll take a guess. 8.5 alk, <5 no3 and <0.05 po4?
I can’t believe more ppl have not noticed that the majority of the “help my sps are dying” threads have “in line” parameters. I have not seen 1 death thread associated with the range I keep.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of makes you wonder if the recommended “line” should be changed. I’ll take a guess. 8.5 alk, <5 no3 and <0.05 po4?
I can’t believe more ppl have not noticed that the majority of the “help my sps are dying” threads have “in line” parameters. I have not seen 1 death thread associated with the range I keep.
I tried to get actual numbers from him to help. His response was nitrate unknown and phosphate normal. Alk 8.5 but using black bucket (12dkh) and hand dosing 2 part. I think if you want to be serious about SPS, you should at least do minimal testing?
What is your range?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get actual numbers from him to help. His response was nitrate unknown and phosphate normal. Alk 8.5 but using black bucket (12dkh) and hand dosing 2 part. I think if you want to be serious about SPS, you should at least do minimal testing?
What is your range?
I try to keep my no3 10-25 and po4 0.10-0.30 but it doesn’t sound like this would of helped your buddy much if at all. Using 12 dKh salt with 8.5 dKh display doesn’t sound like they’re ready for sps. I really don’t think my range is a magic recipe either, just safer. The most important variable is heavy in and a touch less heavy out. So if you’re struggling keeping sps alive longer than a couple months, there is no magic “bacteria, or blue bottle etc” that is going turn your tank around. Check your source water, lighting and bio load.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back