Why cant u keep sps?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM bacto balance for 2 years and it wouldn't keep the P04 levels balanced. Over time it would continue to rise and I would have to intervene with GFO . N03 was kept stable.

I didn't dose any bacteria at the time.

That leads me to think it may be better to go with their Elimi-NP in some instances. It doesn't incorporate the PO4 and N03 in the solution.

A lot may depend on each tank and the amount you feed the fish and your actual fish load.

Imo, they should make a carbon dosing product that only incorporates just N03

-------------------------------------------------------

My goal is a little different in that corals are always fine but over time the P04 rises and those higher levels tend to slow growth. In higher I mean closer to .30 and above. Also with those high levels you get too much algae growth and it can choke out frags.

Right now I'm trying SunnyX old formula but with vinegar(he used vodka) and MB7. So far it's doing fine with N03 but again P04 is up in the .20 range and slowly rising. I'm really not sure if there's enough P04 eating bacteria in MB7 or another brand would work better. Or I may need to up the amount of bacteria I dose.

Any thoughts/opinions?
That's interesting you would think the PO4 would start to come down with it. I dabbled in the Vinegar/Vodka dosing years ago but stopped when it seemed to drive some pathogenic bacteria so hopefully others can chime in as well.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you don’t have to shake FWS or CB before you dose them?
They recommend but i dont see any different between shake and not shake so i just dose regularly. Sometime i do check the bottle to see the tube need to be clean and the bottle got shake

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM bacto balance for 2 years and it wouldn't keep the P04 levels balanced. Over time it would continue to rise and I would have to intervene with GFO . N03 was kept stable.

I didn't dose any bacteria at the time.

That leads me to think it may be better to go with their Elimi-NP in some instances. It doesn't incorporate the PO4 and N03 in the solution.

A lot may depend on each tank and the amount you feed the fish and your actual fish load.

Imo, they should make a carbon dosing product that only incorporates just N03

-------------------------------------------------------

My goal is a little different in that corals are always fine but over time the P04 rises and those higher levels tend to slow growth. In higher I mean closer to .30 and above. Also with those high levels you get too much algae growth and it can choke out frags.

Right now I'm trying SunnyX old formula but with vinegar(he used vodka) and MB7. So far it's doing fine with N03 but again P04 is up in the .20 range and slowly rising. I'm really not sure if there's enough P04 eating bacteria in MB7 or another brand would work better. Or I may need to up the amount of bacteria I dose.

Any thoughts/opinions?
I have used multiple carbon sources over the years and in my experience Po4 always rises over time and I need to intervene with GFO, which I hate doing because of the instability that it brings. What I have never had the nerve to do is hold off with the GFO and see how high the Po4 goes to, I tend to lose my nerve at 0.15
I have just started using the TM range reefactif! but haven't looked at any other products yet but may look at eliminating NP.
I currently use AF nitraphos minus 1ml per day in 300ltr keeps nitrate at 0.5 steady. Not dosing bacteria at the moment, would be nice to find a bac source that reliably reduces Po4.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used multiple carbon sources over the years and in my experience Po4 always rises over time and I need to intervene with GFO, which I hate doing because of the instability that it brings. What I have never had the nerve to do is hold off with the GFO and see how high the Po4 goes to, I tend to lose my nerve at 0.15
I have just started using the TM range reefactif! but haven't looked at any other products yet but may look at eliminating NP.
I currently use AF nitraphos minus 1ml per day in 300ltr keeps nitrate at 0.5 steady. Not dosing bacteria at the moment, would be nice to find a bac source that reliably reduces Po4.
Have you try Zeostart3? Also adding Kalkwasser will help lower the po4 also raised your tank ph.

justy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't is that their carbon/food source? I couldn't go back to dosing kalk, to much mither I use full balling method now.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I haven't is that their carbon/food source? I couldn't go back to dosing kalk, to much mither I use full balling method now.
Zeostart3 is a bacteria source from zeovit it can reduce phosphate and nitrate and become food for the corals

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really fan of your ideas about bacteria, Anthony !!!
I would like your advice of start dosing Zeo.
System:
- 180G / 680L total water volume (redsea 750)
- Hybrid light LED and T5, Strong flow, large skimmer, roller filter, Activated Carbon, Calcium reactor
Started all over a year ago, first time with dry rock - actually it is all ceramic - and a few LR to seed, but having nothing but troubles ever since. Been fighting GHA, bryobsis and different kind of turf algeas. I think it turned into a self-fueling machine, but finally it's going the right direction.
All paramters are fine (verified by ICP test) and PO4 and NO3 is almost zero in order to get rid of lots of turf algeas / because of the turf algeas - I'll get back to the nutrient export later.

The plan is to run a primarely sps tank. My former tanks have been mixed reef with more or less success ...
I reasonly got some sps frags (lost the other corals in the battle with algeas), some doing ok and some don't. Actually the agroporas are doing best :)
Never the less I decided use part of the Zeovit system to increase the vatiaty and diversity of beneficial bacteria so I orderd the below and made a dosing plan based on the guide from Korallenzucht.
Please comment my plan, also if you will suggest other or additional products.

- ZEObak
dose: 1 drop 5 times pr week
- ZEOstart 3
dose: 1 ml pr day
- Coral Vitalizer
dose: 2 drops pr day
- Spongepower

Phosphate and nitrate export, and health of the tank:
For the last six weeks I've been dosing large amount phyto daily, slowly ramping up the amount of phyto.
One hour before lights out the returpump stops for 2 hours, while I dose the phyto to the tank.
The phyto consume most of the Phosphate and nitrate, which starve the algeas and feed the copepods and rotifiers.
Most of the phyto are removed the skimmer, and the PO4 and NO3 is almost undetectable, even I feed the fish a lot.
I also add copepods once a week and rotifies around 3 times a week.
This phyto strategy is inspired by Dana Riddle and @skimjim and seems to work very fine.
The algeas are disappearing - slowly but steady, keeps my fish fat and healthy, and support all kind of cods, critters etc.
I will not decribe it as a ULNS since a lot of nutrients are added, even the PO4 and NO3 is close to zero.

I think by adding phyto- and zooplankton and bacteria (a lot of nutrients) the tank will be very healthy in a natural way, thereby having the ability to host healthy corals and fish.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really fan of your ideas about bacteria, Anthony !!!
I would like your advice of start dosing Zeo.
System:
- 180G / 680L total water volume (redsea 750)
- Hybrid light LED and T5, Strong flow, large skimmer, roller filter, Activated Carbon, Calcium reactor
Started all over a year ago, first time with dry rock - actually it is all ceramic - and a few LR to seed, but having nothing but troubles ever since. Been fighting GHA, bryobsis and different kind of turf algeas. I think it turned into a self-fueling machine, but finally it's going the right direction.
All paramters are fine (verified by ICP test) and PO4 and NO3 is almost zero in order to get rid of lots of turf algeas / because of the turf algeas - I'll get back to the nutrient export later.

The plan is to run a primarely sps tank. My former tanks have been mixed reef with more or less success ...
I reasonly got some sps frags (lost the other corals in the battle with algeas), some doing ok and some don't. Actually the agroporas are doing best :)
Never the less I decided use part of the Zeovit system to increase the vatiaty and diversity of beneficial bacteria so I orderd the below and made a dosing plan based on the guide from Korallenzucht.
Please comment my plan, also if you will suggest other or additional products.

- ZEObak
dose: 1 drop 5 times pr week
- ZEOstart 3
dose: 1 ml pr day
- Coral Vitalizer
- Spongepower

Phosphate and nitrate export, and health of the tank:
For the last six weeks I've been dosing large amount phyto daily, slowly ramping up the amount of phyto.
One hour before lights out the returpump stops for 2 hours, while I dose the phyto to the tank.
The phyto consume most of the Phosphate and nitrate, which starve the algeas and feed the copepods and rotifiers.
Most of the phyto are removed the skimmer, and the PO4 and NO3 is almost undetectable, even I feed the fish a lot.
I also add copepods once a week and rotifies around 3 times a week.
This phyto strategy is inspired by Dana Riddle and @skimjim and seems to work very fine.
The algeas are disappearing - slowly but steady, keeps my fish fat and healthy, and support all kind of cods, critters etc.
I will not decribe it as a ULNS since a lot of nutrients are added, even the PO4 and NO3 is close to zero.

I think by adding phyto- and zooplankton and bacteria (a lot of nutrients) the tank will be very healthy in a natural way, thereby having the ability to host healthy corals and fish.
Base on your 180g volume your max dosage is
Zeobak 2 drops per day
Zeostart3 1.5ml per day
Coral vitalizers 7 drops per day
Sponge power 7 drops per day
I would dose 50% for 3 months and monitor your tank health. All we are focused on is the health of the corals growth and colors. As far as nutrient level I will keep at po4 0.08 to 0.15 and no3 at 10ppm.
Algae might come and go however if the growth and colors of the corals is good then we keep the dosage and increase 10% each month after until reaching full fose.
Keeping a log of the corals colors and appearances will help you to monitor and get a baseline of your tank. Take pictures and write a comprehensive notes described your tank is recommended
Hope this will help you with your tank
Anthony

Blake423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with all dead dry rock however i seed it since the beginning with additional bacteria and within 2.5 years since start i can grow most if my frags to colony size.
Every problem tank thread the question never get to ask is do u dose additional beneficial bacteria?
What bacteria do you dose? Brand and model?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to stumble across this thread while researching why I can’t keep SPS other than montis in a 2 year old reef tank. Read through the entire thread and am going to give bacteria dosing a try. I’ve tried everything so far, but did start the tank with mostly dry rock so maybe I’m missing some beneficial bacteria

Back