Why cant u keep sps?

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This subject is well known to experienced reefer.
Mike Palett has talked about this in a system he build with dry rock and was failing to keep corals.

Here is Rico and him talking about it.
Skip to 18:20 mark

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could credit the appropriate person who contributed this premise about WHEN your tank is ready for SPS. This has nothing to do with HOW you got there:

If you have a ton of (pineapple) sponge in the system then it is ready for SPS.

I believe I have seen exception(s) but anecdotal observations would largely agree.

Anyone agree/disagree?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would grabbing rock out of my local ocean (San Francisco) have bacteria that would be able to live in my reef?

There are a few reefers from Long Island that (probably illegally -- for this is NY) pull stuff from the Sound and drop in their reef tanks. I had the same viability question until considering how many billions of years bacteria have had a chance to adapt. I dunno.

@Paul B I think was one. He expressed another bacterial laden food premise that I have totally bought into: Feeding your fish/inverts chopped up mollusks (clambs, oysters, scallops...). These are all (where we live anyway) northern latitude animals so the same question applies. But my fish and corals seem pretty happy with the addition of shellfish.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc
so obviously youre a fan of zeovit. my research into it during my planning stages were that it was a very difficult system to run in a nano (25g) tank. from your experience what would you say to that? (assuming you DIY the reactor, best i could tell no nano reactor existed)

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ycnibrc
so obviously youre a fan of zeovit. my research into it during my planning stages were that it was a very difficult system to run in a nano (25g) tank. from your experience what would you say to that? (assuming you DIY the reactor, best i could tell no nano reactor existed)
They do make a nano kit. Zeovit is a hand on system which mean follow the guide don’t guarantee success. I post a thread on how i dose zeovit u can read more

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This subject is well known to experienced reefer.
Mike Palett has talked about this in a system he build with dry rock and was failing to keep corals.

Here is Rico and him talking about it.
Skip to 18:20 mark

Yes Mike has mentioned it and he knows his stuff. It seem a lot more of thread on the forum regarding cant keep sps are lacking of diverse bacteria and thats what i try to find out

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do make a nano kit. Zeovit is a hand on system which mean follow the guide don’t guarantee success. I post a thread on how i dose zeovit u can read more
would you mind pointing me in the direction of that kit? i searched a good bit for something along those lines and found nothing. if not i think i can DIY the reactor

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would you mind pointing me in the direction of that kit? i searched a good bit for something along those lines and found nothing. if not i think i can DIY the reactor

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got you. that i found. i thought you meant a reactor. in your experience how important is the reactor vs a media bag that you could give a shake to once a day?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that BRS can do an experiment on this and see if the different between dry rock and real live rock can make a different in sps keeping.

They won’t. Their videos are great but they are all done with products they sell.

All of you that have used live rock do you know if the best comes from rocks where actual coral grows in the ocean or will any rock from the ocean do?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally never had issues with dry rock. I started my previous tank with all dry and my current one was also started with all dry rock.

I’ve never added any bacteria supplements besides when first cycling the tank as I would add biospira to get it going.

Of course you will go through the standard ugly phases but as far as all coral dying I’ve never experienced that.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these problems. Corals would grow from frags to mini colonies and then just STN, even though there were no changes. Sometimes, the colony would STN but a frag from the colony next to the colony did just fine. This is especially true of fast growing acros. Stylos, pocis and montis do fine and don’t have these issues for me. A few acro colonies are also not affected.

Either some bacteria or microbes are attacking the corals or I don’t have the appropriate bacteria/microbes in my tank.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s not just assume because you’ve had success in the past that every new setup is going to be a simple process. Typically once things are rolling and seasoned (much easier with quality live rock) maintaining a successful acropora system is fairly straight forward for experienced reefers. The real magic is when someone is able to overcome different issues without major loss. I think bacteria as farmed food sources are very important when it comes to acropora success. Both in stability and availability.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice thread Anthony,following you since day1 of joining here and using zeovit in my tank.seeing good results so far than earlier with other methods.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
got you. that i found. i thought you meant a reactor. in your experience how important is the reactor vs a media bag that you could give a shake to once a day?
The zeolite rock absorb amonia the zeobak and zeostart3 eat nitrate and phosphate. Thats how zeovit produce the low nutrients for their system. I only utilize the bacteria parts to make my coral healthier however i dont run ulns my phosphate is 1.0 and nitrate is 10ppm.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice thread Anthony,following you since day1 of joining here and using zeovit in my tank.seeing good results so far than earlier with other methods.
Glad to hear that u doing well i just want to figure out so others can be successful

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zeolite rock absorb amonia the zeobak and zeostart3 eat nitrate and phosphate. Thats how zeovit produce the low nutrients for their system. I only utilize the bacteria parts to make my coral healthier however i dont run ulns my phosphate is 1.0 and nitrate is 10ppm.
So if you just dose (no rock) my next question is how important is a skimmer. I don’t run one currently. My only desire to run zeo is for this exact topic, more bacterial diversity.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beside maintaining your parameters and husbandry what did you do more to have a successful sps tank we need more input from reefers with mature successful sps tank. Christmas is coming time to share and help others

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if you just dose (no rock) my next question is how important is a skimmer. I don’t run one currently. My only desire to run zeo is for this exact topic, more bacterial diversity.
Skimmer has multiple function their main job is to pull organic waste out from your water. Second they do make your water a little clear because they pull a lot of waste with color in the water and third they originated your water. So for me i use it mostly for the second and third reason.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back