Why chloride?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. So the new material as a whole that's created is toxic, not just the chlorine part (chlorine is non toxic as was stated, which is new to me). I think I'm making better sense of it now.

Thank you Randy for chiming in, and others as well

I guess I've always wrongly associated chlorine toxicity with na/ca hypochlorite as all I've had experience with is Pool additives and those can be very harsh at certain levels

You need to distinguish chloride (a single chlorine atom with a negative charge on it; very low toxicity) from chlorine (Cl2), which is highly reactive and toxic. Chlorine is used in pools and other situations, including as a deadly weapon in World War I.

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to distinguish chloride (a single chlorine atom with a negative charge on it; very low toxicity) from chlorine (Cl2), which is highly reactive and toxic. Chlorine is used in pools and other situations, including as a deadly weapon in World War I.
This is what I (think) I originally thought my whole life. When that explosion happened chlorine gas was a concern people had and I knew it was used as a weapon. I wish I took more chemistry classes as it really interests me these day, but didn't have such a hold on my attention back then. Funny how time can alter interest. Education is wasted on the young... Lol just kidding

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could ask one more question.. To perhaps help build the picture in my head.

Calcium chloride is added to raise can in our tanks. What would happen if calcium alone was added to a reef tank? What desired affect does the bond with chlorine have?

OK. Two questions ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I (think) I originally thought my whole life. When that explosion happened chlorine gas was a concern people had and I knew it was used as a weapon. I wish I took more chemistry classes as it really interests me these day, but didn't have such a hold on my attention back then. Funny how time can alter interest. Education is wasted on the young... Lol just kidding

There may have been chlorine cars on the train, but I do not believe chloride gas can be generated from vinyl chloride.

Hydrogel chloride HCl gas and phosgene were both mentioned as byproducts of the burning. Both are toxic.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. What would happen if calcium alone was added to a reef tank? What desired affect does the bond with chlorine have?

Likely a fire. Calcium (and sodium and potassium etc.) when totally pure are shiny silver metals that react with water and air to product hydrogen gas (think Hindenburg).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back