Why did cleaner shrimp die so quickly?

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a cleaner shrimp to my newly setup tank, and it died within 48 hours. I currently only have a pair of clowns in there and they weren’t even paying attention to the shrimp at all. I noticed that he got “sluggish” within the first 12 hours and did not move much at all (he would pick a spot and stay there without much movement for hours). I noticed that the salinity in the shipping bag from the LFS was at around 30 PPT and my tank is at 35PPT and is very stable in terms of salinity due to ATO. I acclimated by first floating the bag for about 20 mins to temp acclimate, then adding about half a cup of water into the bag every couple of minutes for about another 30 mins until the water in the shipping bad was around 33PPT. I then put the shrimp in. Any ideas? Thanks!

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Some of my favorite guys over the years.
These guys are super sensitive to acclimating especially in regards to salinity. They are actually quite fragile.
Mine usually live for 4 years. When I get another I take 3 hours or so to acclimate.
That's just me.
I've also never put one in a tank less than a year old.
Hope that helps and once again sorry for your loss.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any copper in your tank? Inverts will die extremely easy in copper.
Sorry for your loss
Thanks, never fun. There’s no copper to my knowledge, I always carefully take fish out of shipping bags carefully with my hands as to not add any of the water.

Upvote 0

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a really big salinity change, likely too much for it to take. With inverts, I usually go 4+hrs using drip acclimation and even then you see issues if the salinity change is too much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Some of my favorite guys over the years.
These guys are super sensitive to acclimating especially in regards to salinity. They are actually quite fragile.
Mine usually live for 4 years. When I get another I take 3 hours or so to acclimate.
That's just me.
I've also never put one in a tank less than a year old.
Hope that helps and once again sorry for your loss.
Never fun. Interesting.. why don’t you add to a tank under one year? What is the specific reason?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a really big salinity change, likely too much for it to take. With inverts, I usually go 4+hrs using drip acclimation and even then you see issues if the salinity change is too much.
Ok thanks a lot I will be more cautious next time around. I was worried this was the case.

Upvote 0

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add any inverts to any young tank. Maybe snails.
I just feel like they need a stable more mature environment with lots to do lots to see and lots to eat.
Just me. I'm sure others have different opinions but salinity is super hard on inverts. Always drip.
Good luck.
Joel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add any inverts to any young tank. Maybe snails.
I just feel like they need a stable more mature environment with lots to do lots to see and lots to eat.
Just me. I'm sure others have different opinions but salinity is super hard on inverts. Always drip.
Good luck.
Joel
Hmmm thanks for that Joel. More established tank and a more thorough acclimation is a theme here. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my cleaner shrimp since week 2 or 3 of my tank being cycled. Maybe a PH issue? Maybe you just got one that wasn't doing well?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my cleaner shrimp since week 2 or 3 of my tank being cycled. Maybe a PH issue? Maybe you just got one that wasn't doing well?
I’m new to reefing so I am starting to learn about PH influences and I believe mine is low. I haven’t tested specifically for it yet though.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back