Why do I have high nitrates but low phosphates?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did your refugium do it?

Yes. It worked great. I am dosing Nitrate in my make up water now to keep PO4 down. However,since my original post, my tank maintenance guy unplugged my heater, and my tank was at 68 degrees before I caught it 2 weeks later. Dory died, SPS stopped taking up ALK and CA, and I started getting a hair algae issue. I also noticed an absence of small pods. After 6 weeks the hair algae started killing my sps. I did stop all dosing except ATI essentials. It has been a slow turn around since May, my fuge is now starting to grow macro again. My last ICP test end of August said NO3 = 0 PO4 = .03 I almost took the tank down I was so fed up. I lost 40 frags, my purple tang and my blue tang. Sorry about my rant. Fuge yes.

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It worked great. I am dosing Nitrate in my make up water now to keep PO4 down. However,since my original post, my tank maintenance guy unplugged my heater, and my tank was at 68 degrees before I caught it 2 weeks later. Dory died, SPS stopped taking up ALK and CA, and I started getting a hair algae issue. I also noticed an absence of small pods. After 6 weeks the hair algae started killing my sps. I did stop all dosing except ATI essentials. It has been a slow turn around since May, my fuge is now starting to grow macro again. My last ICP test end of August said NO3 = 0 PO4 = .03 I almost took the tank down I was so fed up. I lost 40 frags, my purple tang and my blue tang. Sorry about my rant. Fuge yes.

so frustrating. thanks for your reply... my no3 is 10-20ppm and po4 is 0.00 . going to try two things next

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes sense - just ready to get to the next step but being patient

Last edited:

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at 20 nitrate and 0.0 on phosphates - only upset that my chaeto in my sump keeps dying off

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at 20 nitrate and 0.0 on phosphates - only upset that my chaeto in my sump keeps dying off
Feed frozen foods or oyster feast;) some say to add iron for the chaeto. @randyBRS should know. Also I am constantly battling High phos and have no nitrates (dosing N) I changed out My rodi system, run my 380 24/7 1/2-cup GFO + 1/2 cup carbon nori-pellets and frozen for a dozen fish in a 75 gallon + sump

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed frozen foods or oyster feast;) some say to add iron for the chaeto. @randyBRS should know. Also I am constantly battling High phos and have no nitrates (dosing N) I changed out My rodi system, run my 380 24/7 1/2-cup GFO + 1/2 cup carbon nori-pellets and frozen for a dozen fish in a 75 gallon + sump

Great feedback... I will work the same for a bit and see how it goes... Thanks again...

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like you have a disparity between the nutrition input and the nitrate/phosphate export, leaning towards more export than input. Ryan does a really detailed job at explaining the relationship between them in this video. Well worth checking out a couple of times!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back