Why do I never have luck with Cleaner/Fire shrimp?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 Cleaner and 2 Fire shrimp at different times. All died within a week. One was doing great this morning then suddenly died in the evening.

The only shrimp I've had luck with is the Pistol shrimp. He's been in my tank for 3 months.

It's weird because all my fish have been doing well. So do other inverts (emerald crab, gorilla crab, trochus snails, nassarius snails, abalone, urchins, and conch).

I don't have any test kit to justify, but considering all other critters are doing fine, isn't it weird the Cleaner and Fire shrimp are always the victims?

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish do you have? Could they be killing them while your not around?

No all the shrimp died in the corner without amy fish bothering them.

Fish I have: clowns, chromis, leopard wrasse, royal gramma, dispar anthias, banggai, orange spot goby.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp will often molt after introduction to a new tank. One of your tank inhabitants is probably taking out the shrimp during or right aft after molt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Describe your acclimation. They require long acclimation ( I recommend 3-4 hours)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Describe your acclimation. They require long acclimation ( I recommend 3-4 hours)
Really I match temp, and acclimate with display water over 30 min. Never have I acclimated for such an extended period of time, it certainly can not hurt though.

:)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really I match temp, and acclimate with display water over 30 min. Never have I acclimated for such an extended period of time, it certainly can not hurt though.

:)
My recommendation and has always works with fire shrimp, even banded... . . . Float bag for 20 minutes, empty into pail or bucket. Add a cup of water from your tank every 15 minutes 8 -10 times, then scoop shrimp into cup and release from cup into tank . . . AT LOW LIGHT OR LIGHTS OUT so no one intimidates it at lights out

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine levels? Thought they need it for their shell, not.sure what happens if it were low but cant be good

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller shrimps may be more sensitive to 'things' in your water than the Pistol Shrimp you have.
Is this tank brand new to you?
What has been used in this tank to cause invert deaths?
I'd have your water tested for copper ...

Edit: I asked about it being new to you ... has copper ever been used in this tank?

Last edited:

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird but I feel your pain. I have not been able to keep any cleaning species in the past, but I think I didn't feed enough and I had nitrate issues. Good luck.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller shrimps may be more sensitive to 'things' in your water than the Pistol Shrimp you have.
Is this tank brand new to you?
What has been used in this tank to cause invert deaths?
I'd have your water tested for copper ...

Edit: I asked about it being new to you ... has copper ever been used in this tank?

No I never used any med in my tank.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just let bag float for 30-45 min then dumped it into the tank-never had any issues. Ive had both cleaner and peppermint shrimp

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've always just let bag float for 30-45 min then dumped it into the tank-never had any issues. Ive had both cleaner and peppermint shrimp
This is the more sensitive Fire shrimp

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any test kit
That is a problem. The number one job in this hobby is to manage water. With no test kits you can't manage water.

Cleaner shrimp species generally need excellent water quality and high o2. Usually the o2 is achieved through sufficient flow, but using small doses of peroxide or an oxydator would increase the o2 in the water and break down organics and nitrate. Nevertheless, without a test kit, you're flying blind. Especially if you are using a cheap hydrometer instead of a refractometer.

I float the bag for thirty minutes and then drip acclimate my shrimp for an hour. I have both a Skunk and blood. The leopard wrasse eats inverts so if it is big enough it could be the culprit as well, but I'm leaning toward water quality.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to try another cleaner shrimp and it dies, look to see if it still has it's eyes? Sounds weird but I tried to add cleaner shrimp to a tank years ago and went though three of them before I saw what was happening. My Neon Dottyback would just pluck the eyes out and run off. Never took a bite or bothered them after the eyes where removed. Needless to say he was removed to the lfs where I bought him from and told them why he was brought back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back